1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to engage all children in a story reading for interview?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amicalola, Jun 14, 2012.

1. regencyrob - thanks so much for the prompt response and the brilliant ideas - they are great - and better than I could have thought of! I should have contacted you sooner! Better luck next time, eh?
    I have looked at your website before, but it never occurred to me to use it for my interview. There are some really creative things on there... thanks for sharing with the creatively-challenged!

2. I got my latest job on my 6th Interview after sending off 60 applications - Everyone is looking for something different!

3. Oops, the stories I chose were from Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes.

4. I would have thought they would have been fine!
    Did you sit and tell them or wander round doing actions etc?

5. It must be the way I tell 'em! With hindsight, maybe I should have moved around...

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would definitely say this is the key to keeping children engaged. Making eye contact, using voices, using actions (not necessarily move around) are all good strategies.

7. Even just a simple bit of dress up maybe - a hat or an object to make things seem a bit different?

8. I would have involved the children with them joining in with the sound effects, some acting out exciting parts together etc, as well as you doing all the different voices. They could help suggest voice types, or explore how the different characters might move etc. They could have hot seated you as one of the characters after you had read it. You could prepare them by telling them x character will be arriving and asking them what they might like to ask them and then go and get yourself and off you go. I'm not suggesting you would have done all those things, but getting them active and involved is definitely the way to go.