1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to disclose part time seasonal work?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missRV, Jul 11, 2015.

1. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

This hasn't happened yet, but I'm worried!

I am working part time as a teacher (but currently off on stress) in October I will be doing some acting work for 11 days where I will be paid a £25 "fee" for expenses. I am doing it for fun and would rather do it voluntarily.

How do I go about disclosing this extra income? Do I need to? I would hate to inadvertently break any rules.

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

If you are working while you have told your employer that you are unfit for work, you might find yourself being accused of fraud.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

What if you are off work due to work related stress caused by the school you work at?

Surely doing work other than work at that school shouldn't be an issue? Or is it the case that if you are unfit for work then that means ANY work?

Interesting grey area?

5. chriszwinter1

You should not be doing any work that is paid, because you are being paid by your employer.

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

How about this senario.

You work part time in a school but also do extra work say marking exam papers for an exam board.

You're signed off from your school due to WRS so does that mean you cannot work for the exam board?

7. chriszwinter1

Don't know.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm surprised by the responses here. A quick word with your doctor will let you know if he/she thinks you are fit for this sort of work.

Being signed off with WRS from one job does not prevent you from continuing to work in another job if you are part-time and have two different jobs (or more).

Furthermore, any doctor would recommend that in order to recover from WRS, you continue with any and all activities that you would normally do and which make you feel good: exercise, meeting with friends, going to other jobs/volunteering etc.

You are only 'unfit' to work at the job that is causing your stress. Although in some cases that stress is so acute as to hinder you in other environment (I, for example, was a quivering wreck sitting in my car in the car park of a retail park on the day after I was signed off).

If in doubt, have a quick chat with your GP about it.

As for the pay, for the sake of £25, I hardly think the tax man will be chasing you down the street. If it becomes regular, or a significant fee is received (e.g. several hundred pounds for something like examining) then declare it.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Hmm. Tricky one that, Compassman. I would suggest the OP talks to union before clarifying matters with the school's HR providers.

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Instead of claiming this as a 'fee' submit a claim for expenses (travel, food etc.) actually incurred, and ask them to pay it as expenses, pure & simple. Then you are not 'working' and have no 'wages'.

11. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Can you just refuse the money and then they'll be no problem at all?

12. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Must admit I still continued with my exam marking whilst off with stress. It didn't really occur to me at the time that it could be wrong. I wouldn't do it again though as I got more stressed out.

13. chriszwinter1

The argument is that you have told your employer that you are not fit for work but are working. You can be accused of fraud because you would be paid while receiving sick pay. What you are doing in your own time, i.e. not directed time, may be another matter.

As for the amount involved, people have been sacked for less.

14. Morninglover

Different sort of work, of course. One can imagine many types of work someone unfit due to illness could not do, and others that they could.

IMHO completing this as a volunteer for expenses only (not wages) means you are not working, and so the question doesn't arise. But seeking GP's opinion might be sensible.

15. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

It is up to the doctor to say "you are fit to do this but not fit to do this". The definitive answer from my doctor was that I was unfit to attend the place of work that was causing me the stress. I am not unfit, however, to do any other activity that does not cause me that stress.

16. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

If you disclose it, consider your job at risk. It does state that you are not permitted to undertake any employment paid/unpaid whilst on sick leave as this is deemed as fraud.

You have been signed off work AND still getting paid because you aren't fit for work, yet taking on another temporary job paid/unpaid is totally contradicting the reason you were signed off initially.

17. Morninglover

So let's say I was signed off with a broken leg that stopped me walking...Why shouldn't I complete GCSE marking?

18. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

It's easy to decline the fee as SBE suggested, and I would get the organisation concerned to give you a note saying that your service is voluntary. Also it's easy to see the GP and get their blessing as Eva suggested.

But check your contract. It may debar you from taking on any other employment (might include unpaid) without your employer's consent. This is a standard and very reasonable clause, as it protects the employer from staff who moonlight doing late hours or dangerous work that might impact on their performance/attendance at school.

And even if you are satisfied that it's safe to proceed, it still won't look good, to your employers or your colleagues, if you are fit for a job in entertainment (to many, a stressful industry) while off with WRS. Be very careful.

19. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's only July, and you may find that you are well enough to go back to work by October anyway, in which case it wouldn't be an issue.

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It is possible to undertake paid work for one employer while signed off from work with another employer PROVIDED the hours do not overlap and provided, as Asnac states above, that your contact doesn't prevent you from doing so.

See:www.localgovernmentlawyer.co.uk/index.php