1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'How to die: Simon's Choice' - time to change the rules on assisted suicide?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Feb 11, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It should be
    Sadly though people who believe that human life is sacred, often those who waffle on about "free will", tend to take a less merciful view.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

YES!

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The programme was very moving. I liked the way it examined the feelings of the loved ones who were to be left behind. And the interview with the doctor who explained that it was allowable to use enough morphine to alleviate terminal suffering even if the morphine caused death. I think it will be a long while before euthanasia is legalised here in the UK though. I would like to know I could have the benefit of it without the faff and expense of travelling to Switzerland. But I can see that there are drawbacks and it would have to be very carefully monitored so that people who wanted to go on living did not have pressure put upon them to die. Frankly I can see no point to living with dementia or incurable disease and I would want out. I don't want to be a gaga old woman depending on strangers for my care. IMO we are helping people to live far too long. The mother of a friend of mine is nearly 106 and every day says she wants 'the good lord to take' her. She has been saying this for a decade. Old age and debility is a cruel thing. We weren't designed to live for so long and many are being kept alive by advances in medicine. But to what purpose if we become immobile, incontinent, deaf, sightless and witless?

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I did not mean in my post to upset any of the wonderful people on here who give such excellent care and such devotion to sick and elderly relatives.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I find this issue a tough one to settle my opinion on.

For 8 years my grandmother declined due to dementia in the 1990s. Due to her care home being in my university town I use to visit as much as I could [4/5 times a week] and my aunt and I would sit by her bedside. And I was lucky enough to be there when she died, unintentional, didn't know. She wasn't the same woman, she thought I was my father [he was on a trans-Atlantic flight trying to get back in time] so I guess it gave her some comfort that she thought her son was there.

But she wasn't in pain. She just faded from the world.

I'm not even sure this is really relevant to this debate but I thought I'd share it anyway.

No, no that's the wind, bit of grit in my eye... yes grit.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Profoundly moving programme.
    Raised as many questions as it answered.