1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to deal with pushy adults

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ellesabe, Jul 21, 2011.

1. I have an issue at the moment with a lady I know who seems to think that it is okay for her to take my baby from me for a cuddle whenever she sees me, give her food without checking with me, leave the room with her when I'm not looking, give her to other people to hold etc etc etc. I know that it is not just me being possessive over my LO as I am very relaxed about leaving LO with other people. I know that it sounds a bit ridiculous as she is my baby and I should be able to decide who does and doesn't hold her. Maybe I just need to be much more assertive, but I was wondering how other people have dealt with similar situations.

2. When you say 'lady I know' I am reading into this that you arent that keen on this person? If that is the case then cant you avoid her or is it not that simple?

3. I don't actually know her all that well...she's one of those people who never spoke to me before LO was born but now seems to think that she's our best friend. I think she just really adores babies! She's nice enough, which makes it harder because I don't want to upset her. I'm just not sure how to nicely communicate that she needs to back off a bit.

4. How are you in contact with her? Is there no way you can avoid her? When I was a new mum to my first, my in laws sometimes did this to me and I wish I'd been brave enough to ask for her back.... do it! I will with the next one. Just say, "Oh I think she wants mummy now", and take her off the woman. Your baby!!

5. It's a lady who goes to my church. We'll be seeing her tomorrow so I'm just going to stand firm and not give LO to her at all. It's just difficult because even if someone else is holding LO, this lady will just go up and take her. I think I'm going to end up running away from her all afternoon!

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

You could saythat there's a risk of infection with young ones, that is true even though it sounds a bit lame. The only person I ever knew of like this had had a tragedy in her past though, so maybe say something like, 'and as she gets a bit older and stronger it'll be nice for her to come see her aunty jean here' or whatever.

7. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Could you get a baby sling so that the baby is much harder to take from your arms?