1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to cover right angles and 2D shapes year 3??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by delma, Feb 18, 2007.

1. delma

delma New commenter

Just thinking of what I can do to cover this topic? I'm not very good with all this shape malarkey. Also have to cover directions and compass points...darn. Have tomorrow off in case you were wondering...

2. delma

delma New commenter

Just thinking of what I can do to cover this topic? I'm not very good with all this shape malarkey. Also have to cover directions and compass points...darn. Have tomorrow off in case you were wondering...

3. I gave my class of yr 3's (few yrs ago now) a gummed circle which they folded in half and half again to mafe a right angle, they used this to investogate objects around the room adn shapes on paper I gave them.

There are tons of things on www.primaryresources.co.uk about right angles and shape, including display posters

As for directions, I had yr 5 bottom set last yr and we did lots of north, east, south, west games and marked the floor out as a grid and plotted children, did it very practically, then made our own treasure maps for each other to work out. Again loads on the above site

4. Make directions and compass points practical. Can you link it to your Geography at all? 2d shapes can be linked to art (exploring patterns) and so can right angles, thinking about it (turns to create patterns). My class enjoyed coordinates the most, cant remember why I did coordinates with this now, but I did

5. Linking to Vicky's post, you can make Gobblers. Circle folded into quarters, cut one quarter out to make a Gobbler (think of PacMan), children then use their Gobbler to test right angles aound the room.
    Have you looked at unit plans for this?

6. delma

delma New commenter

gobblers- like it!

Thanks for your ideas. Remember vaguely doing something very similiar when I was at Primary school....down in the depths of the memory, there!

Covered investigating pattern before half term, but it would tie in nicely. have been looking at wirral unit plans, but I want to cover different thinkgs during the week.