1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to cope

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by harry1978, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Hi Jaime.
    There are ways of juggling with items of priority at the moment and you should be completing the elements of your course which are due first before others. I know it is tough, with both the academic side with the teaching placements you do in the training. Always think positively about what your ultimate goal is - to be a teacher and that you like being around young learners and helping them to learn. After all these are reasons for which most of us become teachers.
    Every day you should aim to plan your time effectively. Failure to do so would result in you becoming more stressed and in a panic. Anxiety levels will be high, after all training is tough - remember to do the things you have to and do them well, both at uni and school. Also take time for yourself and have a day off (when you can, most teachers will have saturday off) and think about anything but teaching. You can then be more refreshed when attacking the next.............
    In my training I was very organised - too organised but I did pass way before any others on my cohort with M-level. It was tough but then teaching is tough (one of my friends, he is 50 year old had a heart attack just recently and he is also like me a sec maths teacher). Just learn how to become more effortless in what you do and do not worry too much. Just concentrate on how best to make the pupils learn (LP's + LE's) and make sure you are top of your university assignments and you'll be fine Jaime.

2. Sorry forgot to say he has been teaching for 25 years, but I will have left teaching way before then!!!!!!

3. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

what are you struggling with?

4. You don't say which part you are specifically struggling with, but then again, sometimes it's hard to pinpoint what is actually the problem. If it is workload at school and you are struggling to have planning done on time, ask your mentor to help you prioritise. It could be that you are planning too much or spending too much on things that aren't as important. (I had a friend who was taking more time making her PowerPoints do wonderful things than on the lesson content, and things went pear-shaped for her very quickly).
    If it's university work getting in the way, that can be troublesome. I chose to see the school work as the most important as I felt that if I was achieving well in school they would be unlikely to fail me based on assessments. After all, I could have had the most amazing assessments but failed miserably in school and I would have definitely been up the road!
    It is definitely possible to balance all of the things necessary to get through this, but you need to have a to do list and stick to it. Also, the feeling of not being able to cope is not the same as not coping. It could be that you are doing everything you should be doing but you just feel like you're not managing well. You are probably achieving far more than you think.