1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to cook a gammon joint

Discussion in 'Personal' started by buntycat, Mar 8, 2009.

1. I have a small one from Tesco, unsmoked 1.5kg - you know, one of the shrink wrapped ones. I am not sure whether to soak it or not and am not sure how long to cook it for. It's only for cold cuts and to chop up for other recipes, so I don't need anything fancy. I am most concerned about whether it needs soaking or not - nothing about it on the label.

2. I have a small one from Tesco, unsmoked 1.5kg - you know, one of the shrink wrapped ones. I am not sure whether to soak it or not and am not sure how long to cook it for. It's only for cold cuts and to chop up for other recipes, so I don't need anything fancy. I am most concerned about whether it needs soaking or not - nothing about it on the label.

3. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

My MIL soaks them says it makes it less salty.

4. neli

neli Occasional commenter

I would boil it for about an hour/hour and a half (gets some of the salt out) the finish it off in the oven for about 20 mins.

Neli

5. It doesn't need soaking. Rinse it, pat it dry with kitchen towel, and roast it in the oven (wrapped in foil) at about 160 degrees for 20 mins pound plus 20. It really won't be that salty.
    I know you don't need this extra information, but I also glaze mine with honey and mustard (before roasting).

6. PS temp is a guide, your oven may be different (mine has a fan thingy).

7. For the best ever gammon joint, cook it in a pressure cooker / saucepan with some cherry coke. Tastes delicious. I do rinse it first as well, just to get rid of the excess salt.

8. I've done that one TAS in a slow cooker. Gammon is also fab cooked in Cider too (don't very often do it that way myself as I don't use alcohol in cooking usually).

9. Thanks for those (very mixed!) replies. I will kind of do a mixture of advice; I have done it on a low boil for 30 mins - though I think fire girl was right- the water did not taste at all salty. I have now bunged it in the oven on fan 160 and will probably do it for an hour. I have poured maple syrup over it. I have heard of cooking it in coke - apparently it is a big "nigella" recipe (grr, can't stand her) but it's an idea that's been around for yonks. While I'm slagging celeb chefs - how I laughed the other day to read that ginger man boobs cheating Gordon also rather embellished his footballing career.
    Now for the really stupid question - how do I know when it is cooked?

10. It should tell you on the label how long to cook it for. These shrink-wrapped gammons as opposed to farm cured ones do not need soaking but please whwn yoiu buy the next one check the label for the origin of the product. Tesco are notorious for buying in Danish pig products and it's sometimes hard to see where the meat is from. Danish welfare standards are appalling compared to UK ones. They keep their sows in stalls which we have banned in the UK, but it is legal to import meat produced under these conditions. I eat meat and enjoy it but I am concerned about the welfare of the animals we eat.

11. Probably too late now, so I hope you didn't overcook it, I do it on the springy to touch thing press in and slight spring back. To be honest I prefer it a bit under than over, I hate it when it's overcooked it goes too pale and is crumbly.
    LOL about Nigella - I can't stand her either!

12. For future reference, the cooking instructions are usually printed (in microscopic print) on the reverse of the price label - you can only get to it when you have taken the wrapping off.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Too late now, but I put it in a roasting dish with some onion slices, a clove of garlic-cur in half, a bay leaf and a can of coke or appletize (apple juice or lager also), cover with tinfoil, sort of tented so it encloses the whole thing then bake in the oven for 11./2 to 2 hours.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

Actually, the Nigella way (in coke) is fab!!!!

Put meat in a saucepan with an onion and a few cloves; cover with supermarket cheapest cola (<u>NOT </u>diet), bring to the boil and simmer for an hour or so; leave to cool. (can be left overnight at this stage)

Remove from liquid and roast in hot oven for 30-25 mins with/without glazing (I never do as I usually do this for families with fussy children!) with a sugar/mustard mixture.

Sound odd - tastes good.

15. neli

neli Occasional commenter

I am the opposite, maybe that's why I seldom like ready cooked ham in this country, in Ireland it's crumbly and scrum!

Neli

16. I'm with you neli. I like ham crumby. I boil it then tip the water away and add fresh water, onion, carrots and yellow split peas and boil n simmer for ever (slow cooker or pressure cooker depending on what mood I'm in - fast or slow). Take the ham out at the end and blend the liquid to make pea n ham soup at the same time.
    I like ham slice with cooked leeks and cheese sauce

17. yes it's always a problem knowing when to soak. Here's a useful page with good guidelines. Hope it helps. www.http://whatstherecipetoday.com/to-soak-or-not-to-soakthat-is-question.html#.UK-G4U7iLXE

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

After three years I imagine the gammon is probably cooked by now.
    The sprouts on the other hand are still simmering nicely[​IMG]

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Well spotted.
    In my opinion, the best way to cook ham doesn't involve faffing around soaking it. Put it in a pan of cold water an bring it to the boil. Let it simmer for 15 minutes then throw the water and scum away. This will remove excess salt more effectively than soaking. Put fresh boiling water in the pan, along with an onion a carrot and celery. You might want to put some carrots to eat with the ham in the pot at the same time. Just simmer until it's cooked.
    Cooking ham in cola is all very well, but with my method you end up with some stock to make soup with. Test the saltiness of the stock and if it'sa bit too salty, use it to cook your potatoes in to share the salt between meals.

20. Nah... this place is so sluggish these days, the old ones stand out like a sore thumb. Especially the ones with loads of posts on them.