1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to clean up your Facebook before you start applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Oct 6, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I believe that one of the London bombers, Mohammad Sidique Khan, was a learning mentor in Hillside Primary School in Leeds.
    52 killed and over 700 injured.

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I said your average teacher, someone plotting to take part in terrorist activities is not going to be an average person. Or are you suggesting that the majority of teachers are all planning on slapping on a suicide bomb and having a day trip in the capital?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, you know perfectly well that I did not and am not suggesting this.
    However, doubtless one could also say that your average learning mentor is not planning on slapping on a suicide bomb and having a day trip to the capital.
    Just because the average doesn't, does not mean that some - or even one - will never do it.

4. is that true

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Ok, if you weren't suggesting it then why did you mention someone that was clearly outside the norm/average? Yes, there are always going to be extremists and fringe loons and you are going to find them in all walks of life. But when someone is refering to the average majority of people why pipe up with the fringe element?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Because you said that as the average teacher wasn't likely to do this, there is nothing to worry about.
    The point is that the extreme is what we might need to worry about, as proven by the example of the school employee who <u>did </u>do it.

8. Hi mary,
    Iv'e noticed I come up in a few things in google.

If I set up the google alert - will I get lots of annoying emails from them - or only the 'alerts' that Ive requested to come up as and when my name is linked to something?

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In my experience, it is only the e-mails that relate to the specific words that you set up in your alert.
    No other advertising or e-mails suggesting other things.

10. lolaarcana

lolaarcana New commenter

My name is extremely common, if you google me there are actresses, website, videos, etc. All different people with my name. Until someone knows what I look like it is clear that they cannot tel if any of these are me (which none of them are). The same applies for facebook only people who have my 'friends' email (I have a seperate owrk address) could locate me due to the privacy settings and my common name. Also there are 2,400 results if you search for me on facebook!

11. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

re Google Alerts - you get just one email when the exact phrase you typed in comes up. Note that this might give you something unexpected depending on your name - eg if you set up an alert for "John Smith" you might get
    "John Smith let's it all hang out on Facebook."
    Or, you might get
    "and his cousin John. Smith then went on to say"
    but if you read the alert you will see what I mean both of which include the phrase you've typed in the order that you type it.
    So while you might get results that are irrelevant, you won't actually get any spam.

12. the link doesnt work

13. Hello,<font face="Calibri">Thanks, Theo for what you do, it is so helpful!</font><font face="Calibri">I have read through the discussions on the TES website about Facebook but I haven&rsquo;t read anything about the problem I have with Facebook and I would like your opinion.</font><font face="Calibri">I have worked in a school as a supply teacher for four months and finished in July. It went rather well but, after I left, I heard about the importance Facebook has taken when you apply for a job. I checked to see if I was mentioned in any way. I was: pupils from my last school have created three groups of discussion about me. My name is used in the titles and I have a rare name.</font><font face="Calibri">They criticise my lessons and the sanctions I gave them. They also make it clear that they would like me to be sacked. However, most of the comments only took place within the first two weeks I spent in this school. One group was created on my second day there! After about two weeks, the pupils stopped, except for 2 or 3 more comments. They just didn&rsquo;t like having a new teacher, I guess.</font><font face="Calibri">I am now looking for a new position and wondering if these discussion groups can have an impact on my job hunt. If so, how can I get them deleted? As I understand, it is difficult/impossible to get Facebook to delete a discussion group. Is there a chance that Facebook deletes it, if nobody visits a group for several months? (I am pretty sure that my former pupils have already forgotten they have created these groups.)</font><font face="Calibri">Any advice?</font><font face="Calibri">Thanks.</font>

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm afraid that I have no advice to give you in your situation, as I do not know how Facebook works in this matter.
    All I can suggest is that you contact your union, who will have dealt with this type of problem before, and will be able to give you the best advice.
    This is cyber-bullying, and it must have been very upsetting for you to see this. I'm sorry for you.

15. Thanks for that Theo.
    I am going to set things in motion.
    Nicole