1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to change from SEN to Sociology?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by SophieLR12, Mar 29, 2018.

1. SophieLR12

SophieLR12 New commenter

Hello.

I have been working as a teacher in 2 different special needs schools since i completed my PGCE (PCET). Sometimes I enjoy it but I do always have a feeling like it just isn't for me. I did my PGCE in P16, teaching Sociology, and really enjoyed it. I was only a trainee so had fewer teaching hours, and much less responsibility so that might have something to do with it. When I finished I got a job in a SEN school and thought it would suit me with the small classes, getting to know the kids, holistic approach etc but, like I said before, just got a feeling it isn't for me.

I have been thinking about trying to get back into teaching sociology for the past year, just worried because I haven't had any experience teaching that subject for 4 years now and don't know anything about the exams or specifications so don't feel very confident having the responsibility of getting kids through an exam.

What I want to know is, has anyone done this sort of thing before? Changed directions maybe from primary to secondary or out of special needs into a different subject? If so how did you do it? I've thought about taking on a Sociology tutee or trying to put together resources to sell on here so I can get to grips with the new specs. Does anyone have any advice how to do this? I want to change but don't want to go into it blindly and it not work out?

Please help!!!
    x

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

There are many posts on teachers who have changed subject or phases, etc. In fact, when you trained in Post-16 and switched to SEN is an example of you doing this. Think about what you did to be successful with this.

The ideas you have are good - i.e. tutoring students (do a Google search and call up a few sites which will help you to know what's out there and compare), creating resources, or researching new specs. Perhaps you have contacts from your PGCE or know of schools you could approach to find out how they deliver sociology and increase your confidence.