1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to challenge native speakers in the MFL classroom.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by gabiewg, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Hi,

I have a native speaker in my Year 9 Spanish class and his spoken fluency is way beyond that of his classmates. However, I have yet to assess his written language and I am aware that this can often be the weakest skill of native language students.

I am looking for some ways to continue to stretch him in the classroom and in homework tasks. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. msr2015

msr2015 New commenter

Hey,
    I find the grammar and translation workbook helpful as native speakers sometimes have difficulty accurately translating (especially where they need to respond to questions in English). I also gave native speakers in the past lots of 150 word bullet point written questions to help to train them to develop answers properly to get full marks.
    Hope this helps!

paula_rpo and sbkrobson like this.
  3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Do you have a school library service? I got my native speakers young adult readers in their home language. They read when they had finished the work.

4. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

You can also get some ideas from the ESO Lengua textbooks or revision guides for ESO (the student will be learning about spelling, punctuation, grammar etc), which will improve his writing skills if s/he continues onto GCSE.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

These are good ideas.
    Another related pitfall for them is on the listening paper when the questions are in English. In class time they can have past papers in listening and a transcript instead of the actual sound track, the idea being that they need to be clear what the question is asking. They can self mark, but you'll need to talk them through the errors they discover.
    Same for homework, but they can have a go at the actual audio track.

A more targeted approach is to give them some EAL type training in the question form in English-some can be thrown by the auxilliary verb "to do", which crops up a lot in the reading and listening exams' questions. eg "why does she think this?"