1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to calm a lively class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lunablanket, Jan 22, 2012.

1. I have a VERY lively class- which I love the majority of the time as I beleive that this is the way that children should be!! However there are some occassions when I need them to be calm!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

2. A couple of things I've found work for me: at story time/carpet time give them all their own carpet square (you can get old books of carpet samples from some shops) this gives them their own space and they know they need to sit on it. Make a point of telling them what they should be doing rather than what you don't want them to do. Have a signal - the teacher in the next class puts her hand up in the air and her finger on her nose (this means her aerial is up and she is tuning in to them!) Sounds strange but it works like magic once she's got the idea across in the first place.

3. Whisper! They will want to hear what you are saying...

4. I use two puppets, Grandad and Granny Stamp. Grandad tells me when someone isn't calm or listening, or forgets not to call out, while Granny Stamp gives children who are doing the right thing a stamp on the hand.

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I stole this from a SEN teacher, but we did lots of work on "show me 5" which is 5 things we need to do for good sitting. It's a bit like "whole body listening" that I've seen in other schools. Legs crossed, arms in lap, mouth closed, eyes looking, ears listening. We also have a whole class reward to work for good sitting and listening.