1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to Build a Planet

Discussion in 'Science' started by Juliejacks, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Juliejacks

Juliejacks New commenter

Another amazing BBC programme but, why oh why BBC - plants BREATHE!!!!
    This was repeated several times even with amazing pictures of stomata 'breathing in carbon dioxide'.
    all those lesson spent telling students that we breathe in air not oxygen and that plants use carbon dioxide from the air.

2. Juliejacks

Juliejacks New commenter

Another amazing BBC programme but, why oh why BBC - plants BREATHE!!!!
    This was repeated several times even with amazing pictures of stomata 'breathing in carbon dioxide'.
    all those lesson spent telling students that we breathe in air not oxygen and that plants use carbon dioxide from the air.

3. T34

T34 Established commenter

Anything you try to tell the kids will eventually be negated by their reading or hearing in the media some lies which will totally invalidate all you have ever said. TV beats the teacher, like stone beats scissors.
    Prestige! That;s what its all about. Never mind the truth - postmodernism tells us that the truth is created not discovered.
    And there is , of course, a feeling in the media that the truth is just not interesting enough or perhaps too disconcerting, to be shared with viewers, listeners or readers.
    Presumably they have scientific "experts". But even if the so-called expert really were an expert (which I doubt, in many cases) the producer would not let anything through which might expect the average i_d_i_o_t listener to think.

4. Juliejacks

Juliejacks New commenter

Presenter was a geologist I think!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It is, however, a brilliant programme but in true BBC style on at the same time as 'The Surviviors' on BBC 4 about animals and plants that survived the great extinction and are still around today.
    2 great science programmes on at the same time! Silly BBC!