1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to build a girl

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ridleyrumpus, Aug 1, 2020 at 1:29 AM.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Just been watching "How to build s girl", really quite good.

Quite from the teacher made me chuckle.

"I am the cold light of day, the hope smasher

I teach"

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I love Caitlin Moran. She's funny.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Autocorrect?

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I watched it the other day and loved it. Have you ever watched "Raised by wolves" which is also about Caitlin Moran's childhood. Have a look,it's on the All 4 player.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

That actress is American - how does she get on with the Brummie accent?

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Cannot bear Caitlin Moran. Anyone who makes the following joke does not deserve space in my life.
    "In the 1980s, music journalism was like Auschwitz - there were no birds there." This is from"How to Build a Girl" which I read for my book group. Even without that quotation, I loathed the book.

coffeekid likes this.
  7. WB

WB Lead commenter

I have been in many parents evening when I have told the parents that their child is not as bright as thety thought thet were.

afterdark likes this.
  8. WB

WB Lead commenter

That joke is vile.

9. mothorchid

Indeed, @WB I thought a while before I quoted it. I didn't even want to repeat it, but I think it shows something about the author in her autobiography, so I put it in. She comes over to me as arrogant and thoroughly self-serving.

friedgreentomatoes and WB like this.
  10. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Music journalism in the 80s..... there were no birds there.... what’s funny about that, even putting aside any tastelessness?

mothorchid likes this.
  11. mothorchid

Yes, @Incommunicado she manages to be sexist too! And this in a book which is apparently all about feminism. It's like something from Bernard Manning.
    To be honest, she lost me on the second page where she stridently declared that women shouldn't beg for approval all the time (from men or other women) and then spent three paragraphs asking the readers to love her.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I went right off her when she complained endlessly about the poverty she was raised in whilst never criticising her parents for continuing to have children they couldn't support.

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Superficial - moi? - but I can’t take her seriously due solely to that photo of her in her Times column, in which she appears to be trying just a bit too hard to be saying “Get me, how alternative, whacky and original am I?”

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  14. mothorchid

And yet people love her stuff. Maybe it's the insistent ranting about menstruation? Or the haranguing about how the working class never get anywhere? I just don't see it.

15. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

Not Brummie - Wolverhampton - a significant difference.

coffeekid likes this.
  16. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

And what do you imagine she could have done about it? Got between them? And if she had had a go at her parents no doubt you would have ticked her off for disloyalty. Sorry, but that is nitpicking taken to a silly extreme.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I liked 'How to build a girl' as it reminded me just how hard it is to drag yourself up when you only really have yourself to rely on. She and I are a similar age from a similar class and it was a pleasant enough bit of nostalgia.

Don't read much of her adult work, so can't comment. But certainly as a teen we weren't as aware of what is socially acceptable and what wasn't. We came up with what we thought were poetic and humorous musings, but were probably appallingly offensive, as this shows.
    Probably should edit it out of her published diaries though.

lorencanna likes this.
  18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here.

I loved "raised by wolves" when it was first showed on the TV (it's on the all 4 player if people want to have a look at it). At the time,I did not realise it was semi autobiographical until I googled the writer. I was not really aware of the Moran sisters up to that point.
    I watched "How to build a girl" last week when it came up as a banner in Prime. I started watching it and thought how similar it was to "Raised by wolves" and then, realised it was the same writer.

19. mothorchid

"as a teen we weren't as aware of what is socially acceptable and what wasn't. We came up with what we thought were poetic and humorous musings, but were probably appallingly offensive,"
    She published this in 2014, when she was 39...

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

That's me told, haha.