1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become assessment co-ordinator?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by justpayingattention, Apr 20, 2016.

1. justpayingattention

justpayingattention New commenter

I'm a PGCE student and having done an education degree before starting training, I've developed a lot of interest in the area of assessment (I want to do a Masters and PhD at some point so would love to research into that part of education for those) and recently decided that I'd probably like to be an assessment co-ordinator sometime in my career..

The only thing is that I don't know what I'll need to do to get there? I asked my mentor at my last placement (who also happened to be the Deputy Head of the school) about it and she said you have to be SLT but I can't find any information online anywhere. Is she right?

2. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

Leading assessment might be described as a 'poisoned chalice', especially this year. You will need to understand the minutiae of Raiseonline and what this means for your HT and governing body (especially if your school is expecting a visit from Ofsted), along with providing guidance for your teaching colleagues, who need an ongoing, workable system.

Good luck.

3. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I am assessment coordinator and not SLT. I was given it (small school).

As previous poster said, you need two things. A good understanding of RaiseOnline and an established tracking system in school that everyone can use. Plus, perhaps, the ability to talk edu-babble in reports to governors.

For what it's worth, it's an awful job. It's paperwork heavy and you never feel you get a workable system in place for long enough because the government/SLT/LA whip the rug out from under you when they feel like it. In my experience, they all want different things, different figures presented in a slightly different format that say the same bloody thing. I've finally managed to get rid of it at the end of this year and good riddance to it.