1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

How to become an HLTA now?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by JWMU, Apr 19, 2011.

  1. JWMU

    JWMU New commenter

    Ive been working in a Primary School as a TA with SEN specialism on a 1-2-1 position. Ive been doing this now since she had her induction days in Reception and she is now in Year 3. Because of the nature of the role, Im always on a temporary contract, ie if she leaves to go to another school then I am no longer needed in theory.
    The problem is I am not trained with the normal TA qualification so Im a little worried about what will happen after this child leaves in Year 6. I have a Early Childhood International Diploma in Montessori Pedagogy which is equivalent to a Level 4 on the CWDC database.
    I am seriously thinking about becoming an HLTA,however I have a few questions:
    If I am not employed in a conventional TA role, will the Assessors count that as not making me eligible to apply? I do small group work, I have my own Social Skills Talkabout Group, but I dont take whole classes.
    I understand that the funding has changed and that you either have to fund it yourself (according to my LEA website its £890) or get the school to part fund it. Im a single parent and although I work a large part of my income is benefits. If the school have employed me as a 1-2-1 I cant see them wanting to pay out for an HLTA assessment. However I cant even afford to part fund this course.
    I really want to further my own education and although I absolutely adore working with this little lass, I want to do something to further my knowledge.

  2. JWMU

    JWMU New commenter

    Thank you for those replies :) Ive been in contact with my local large college and they run the Foundation Degree in Supporting Teaching and Learning. Because Im a single parent I can apply for funding for the course, so I think that will be the way forward. It will take me two years but I think as you say it is much more relevant in a Primary School situation and could lead to other doors opening.
    I also didnt know about the fact that after working in one place for two years you have the same rights as a permanent TA so thank you for that too.

  3. definately go for it! I definately got my current job a year ago having been made redundant because I had extra qualifications over the other candidates - the school were looking for someone who could float and cover PPA - good luck xxx
  4. .

    I think you should check on the fact about becoming permanent automatically. In my school if you are employed on a 1:1 with a named child your contract expires once the child leaves.
  5. tamtams

    tamtams New commenter

    HI, without sounding rude to you kanddd I did put this point over to my head and he assures me that this is correct.
  6. .

    Thats fine tamtams. It just shows that different schools do different things and what happens in your school is not the same in all schools
  7. phatsals

    phatsals Senior commenter

    After two years the rights you have are to a Redundancy Payment should your contract not be renewed. In this sense it is the same as permanent employees.
    However, unless you are given a permanent contract you are still Fixed Term and you could lose your post on that basis. If you are attached to a particular child and no other child appears that needs support there would be no need for the post. It then becomes redundant and by definition so does the post holder.
    If you are fortunate with a decent and supportive head then should staff numbers need to be reduced all staff would be considered equally, permanent and contract. Unfortunately this is not the case in many schools.

Share This Page