1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become a teaching assistant help

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by emma_dennon, May 12, 2020.

1. emma_dennon

emma_dennon New commenter

Hi everyone

Hope everyone is safe and well.

I am just after a bit of help. I currently work in a mental health unit as a medical secretary, however I have been thinking of getting into working in a school in some capacity and rather than working in the office think I would really enjoy being a teaching assistant!

I know the current situation is a nightmare at the moment in terms of a career change but hopefully things will be back to some form of normality in the next few months and schools will still require these positions to be filled.

I have been online looking at the TA course but there are just so many it's a bit overwhelming/confusing and I have no idea which one to go for.

Would anyone please be able to point me in the rfight direction of which courses are the most beneficial?

thank you

Emma

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Best , if you can, to do a course at your local college as they are usually the ones the local schools recognise plus you will do time in a local school. Go and do some voluntary work in a local school as this is always beneficial. Speak to other TAs see what courses they did which got them the job. Many of the online courses don't even require to do any practical work in a school and are really a waste of money.

3. emma_dennon

Hi thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I need to do an online course. Are there any that you know of that may be beneficial? Someone mentioned cache I think it was?

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

5. emma_dennon

Thanks for that, do you think it’s essential to have a placement? I know some online courses require it, some don’t. What I’m worried about, given the current situation, is not being able to get a placement after be started the course.

6. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

That is why it was recommended that you do one through a college as they will find a placement for you. If volunteers are still not allowed into schools you will still get more out if a course by learning from other people on the course who may be in practice and experiences from previous years than if you study alone online. Take a level 3 course.