1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become a TA? Training to be a teacher, but want to be a TA.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jhall15, May 5, 2012.

1. I am currently studying to be a primary school teacher, in the final weeks of my PGDE in Glasgow. I prefer to work with smaller groups of children, and would be interested in becoming a TA in England.

I have a degree and varied experience with working with children (volunteering with autistic children, Boy's Brigade assistant leader, work in an after school club, work experience in a primary school prior to my PGDE, then I have 8 weeks in Primary 4 teaching, a 4 week nursery placement and 6 weeks in a Primary 2 class.

However, I do not have any qualifications specific to being a teaching assistant. How does this work? Would my application be a non-starter? Would it be seen as a negative that I did not pursue being a teacher?

I am hoping to relocate to Staffordshire in September- so any local advice from this area would be v useful

Thanks

2. I am currently studying to be a primary school teacher, in the final weeks of my PGDE in Glasgow. I prefer to work with smaller groups of children, and would be interested in becoming a TA in England.

I have a degree and varied experience with working with children (volunteering with autistic children, Boy's Brigade assistant leader, work in an after school club, work experience in a primary school prior to my PGDE, then I have 8 weeks in Primary 4 teaching, a 4 week nursery placement and 6 weeks in a Primary 2 class.

However, I do not have any qualifications specific to being a teaching assistant. How does this work? Would my application be a non-starter? Would it be seen as a negative that I did not pursue being a teacher?

I am hoping to relocate to Staffordshire in September- so any local advice from this area would be v useful

Thanks