1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become a supply teacher...?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mechanicum, Jan 18, 2019.

1. mechanicum

mechanicum New commenter

Hi All,
    I am new to supply teaching and looking to become a supply teacher, but have little to no experience of how to become one, what agencies are best etc, etc.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice on 'how to become a supply teacher' for a newbie?
    Thanks

pepper5 likes this.
  2. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Depends where you live. Local agencies better than national brands. Big yourself up, but know what you do and don't want. Primary or secondary. Mate, to be honest if you've got to come on a forum to ask that question in the day and age of Google I don't think you're cut out for it. Supply teachers do have to be able to think on their feet a bit more for themselves than that. He specific. Give a bit more information and away you go.

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We have a pinned thread called New to Supply. Take a look at that first for the basics and then let us know if you have any other questions. A word of warning: supply work is drying up. Read the thread all quiet on the day to day supply front.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

But the poster has come onto the internet (via Google or what ever) to find out information. :confused:

mechanicum and agathamorse like this.
  5. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I would suggest that you sign up with a number of agencies, at least 3 including the major ones, which we cannot mention on here and also some small ones. I will send you a message with ideas.

You will find the tough and at times depressing, especially when there is no work, and at times you will think is it worth the effort, but for any teacher it is a good learning curve and that includes experienced teachers. In that every day is different, you teach kids from different backgrounds, with varying attitudes to behaviour, morals and respecting teachers, most students are good, a bit cheeky at time, some will act and behave badly (i.e future customers of the judicial system. You will encounter schools with brilliant support from teachers and senior management and others that you treat you lower then the lowest form of life, with no support..

However it will and can make you a better teacher, because you become harden and develop a wider range of teaching and management skills, a understanding of teaching and also subject knowledge across the curriculum, which will benefit you in the long term. These are experiences and skills that many very good and experienced teachers in permanent posts cannot develop as they encounter the same students day in, day out, rather then the full range of students a supply teacher will encounter in a normal year.

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Depending where you are in the UK, the market is saturated with teachers who have fallen for agency publicity. There are far more people than jobs. If you have a mortgage or dependent family, think twice about getting into a sector that is entirely precarious. It's not a career move these days. Low pay, no job security, low status. Have a plan B or you could be seriously out of pocket if you rely solely on day to day supply work.

7. mechanicum

mechanicum New commenter

A remarkably unhelpful statement ‘mate’ - How do you know I’m not looking up advice in several ways? A forum called ‘supply teachers’ seems like a very sensible place to start ones search.

Thanks very much.

Thanks - that’s very helpful.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The first thing you should do is to register at your local food bank.

sparkleghirl likes this.