1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become a Special Needs Teacher

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by mavisrobinson, Jun 11, 2009.

1. There is an article in TES magazine on how to become a special needs co-ordinator which might be useful
    SEN co-ordinator

2. blueone

blueone New commenter

Hi
    I've recently gone into special needs and i had no SEN training. Infact, im secondary trained and working in a Primary SEN school, which is totally different from what i trained in. Basically i think when heads appoint teachers in an SEN school ,yes experience with SEN does help, but employers are really looking for the right kind of candidate who can work in a different and sometimes challenging school environment. I worked in mainstream for 2 years and taught some SEN classes and really enjoyed it. I decided it was a route i wanted to take and applied for SEN jobs. If you see a job go for it. In the application write about any relevant SEN experience you have had an go from there.
    good luck!