1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become a SENCo

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by tom2323, Aug 7, 2019.

1. tom2323

tom2323 New commenter

Hello. I am really interested in the role of SENCo, and it is a position I would hopefully like to apply for in the next 12 months or so. I am currently a class teacher, and have been for 12 years, so I fancy a change. I have lots of experience working with SEN children (like most of us do!).

This year I'd like to be proactive in boosting my CV and tailoring it to SENCo positions. I have started by being booked on a couple of SEN courses. I ask for your advice please: this coming academic year, what other things should I specifically try to do - things that'll stand me in good stead when applying for SENCo roles? What will help me stand out from other candidates and give me a chance of obtaining a SENCo post?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Willingness to apply immediately sets you up, the churn rate of sencos is amazing.

I would ask your head if any opportunities in school might be available.

I would try and shadow another senco in another school.

Primary or secondary by the way? Vastly different jobs.

A useful start would be to read the nasen senco induction pack. It is quite well written and will give you a good flavour, as well as be an effective cpd task for the job.

tom2323 likes this.
  3. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

Do some research to show a working knowledge of current thinking in a number of areas. You could perhaps join the Chartered College of Teaching, as this will give you access to a large research base. Also, look at the EEF as their research into interventions and their impact is always sound. Don’t forget to look at attachment issues, as these are key in understanding why some children are not able to approach their learning. In a similar vein, mental health and emotional well-being are also important to consider in supporting children before you actually look at specific learning difficulties. The other thing you could do is read up on the application process for EHCPs and high needs funding.

tom2323 likes this.
  4. tom2323

tom2323 New commenter

It's within a Primary setting. Many thanks for your advice.

5. tom2323

tom2323 New commenter

Thank you very much for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.