1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become a primary school teacher?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by meirou, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hello all, I'm looking for some advice from experienced individuals on what my next step should be to become a teacher of primary school children.

I'm a 21 year old woman, and my current qualifications are as follows;
    English G.C.S.E. [grade C]
    Maths G.C.S.E [grade C]
    Art and Design BTEC {grade C.C.C.C] (Counts for 4 G.C.S.Es if I remember correctly)
    Art and Design A level [grade C D.]
    Graphic Design A level [grade C.]

Now, I am unsure what route to take next. What further qualifications would I need, and what courses would I need to take?

If anyone could offer any advice and guide me in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful!

2. Hello all, I'm looking for some advice from experienced individuals on what my next step should be to become a teacher of primary school children.

I'm a 21 year old woman, and my current qualifications are as follows;
    English G.C.S.E. [grade C]
    Maths G.C.S.E [grade C]
    Art and Design BTEC {grade C.C.C.C] (Counts for 4 G.C.S.Es if I remember correctly)
    Art and Design A level [grade C D.]
    Graphic Design A level [grade C.]

Now, I am unsure what route to take next. What further qualifications would I need, and what courses would I need to take?

If anyone could offer any advice and guide me in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful!

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

To be honest, a lot of courses are looking for much better academic results than you have and a wider range of GCSEs. Is there are reason you have so few qualifications?

5. Hi As well as your GCSEs grade C in English and maths, you would also need to gain a science at the same level and a full honours degree. There are a number of different routes you can take. The most common way for undergraduates to qualify as teachers is to undertake a bachelor's degree that includes QTS. To apply for bachelor's degree courses you generally need at least two A-levels or equivalent qualifications. You can search and apply for bachelor's degree courses with and without QTS via www.ucas.ac.uk
    You can also study for a degree through distance learning with the OU (www.open.ac.uk) and then go on to a postgraduate teacher training course. If you haven't done so already, your next step is to gain some primary classroom experience as this will inform your decision and strengthen your application.
    You can browse all the routes through www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options and you can call the Teaching Information line for advice on 0800 389 2500.
    Good luck in your primary teaching career.

Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency

6. Hi,

I don't know if you've manged to come across any route into teaching yet as I realise your original post was a while ago. However, the route I took involved no A levels; I took an Access to Teaching certificate in a local college which allowed me to gain a relevant qualification to get into university to do an undergraduate degree. I had poor GCSE results but this did not matter as the Access covered the gaps. After my degree I went onto a PGCE and 5 long (but worth it!!) years later I am meeting my new class next week for my first post in September.
    It does take a long time but persevere - I was your age when I started with a young daughter.

Most importantly, good luck!!

7. Gaining experience working with children will set you in good stead whatever route you take in the future to becoming a primary school teacher. You could volunteer at a school, work as a teachers assistant (TA) in a local school or even helping out a sports club. This experience will be a great advantage whatever academic/higher educational route you take as it looked upon very favourably by universities, future employers and initial teacher training institutions. Check out this great site for more information on the practicalities of becoming a primary school teacher. Much better and clearer than the boring government one!

http://www.thefutureteacherfoundation.com/how-to-be-a-primary-teacher