1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become a GCSE/A-level textiles teacher?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by molgo, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi everyone...

I would like to become a textiles
    teacher and plan to study 2013/14 at UWE (maybe??). Just wanted to ask
    if the PGCE or PCET will allow me to teach in secondary and FE and can I just teach at a-level in secondary schools?
    And if I need lots of industry experience to teach in FE?
    Oh and are the teaching hours limited doing A-LEVEL GCSE and can you just teach at this level in schools?
    I'm pretty clueless as I'm sure you can tel!!!:D

2. Hi everyone...

I would like to become a textiles
    teacher and plan to study 2013/14 at UWE (maybe??). Just wanted to ask
    if the PGCE or PCET will allow me to teach in secondary and FE and can I just teach at a-level in secondary schools?
    And if I need lots of industry experience to teach in FE?
    Oh and are the teaching hours limited doing A-LEVEL GCSE and can you just teach at this level in schools?
    I'm pretty clueless as I'm sure you can tel!!!:D

3. Hi Molgo
    You would be pretty limited in both hours and positions available if you were to just teach A-Level textiles. I would guess this would limit you to Sixth form colleges, which there are not too many of - check out the jobs section on here and see what you can find.
    Places like UWE I would imagine would ask you also to do a second subject in the Design and Technology Group (which D&T Textiles fits in). Or of course you can come in the Art route - which would also mean you teaching other aspects of the art curriculum.
    I am a food teacher as my main subject, with textiles as my second subject. I had to train D&T textiles (design and make version) which I have only taught on placement thank goodness as it really wasnt my thing at all, but you may love it!. I have since taught art textiles which I love as it is so much more creative and experimental for me.
    Beg or borrow (or ebay) some textiles books at GCSE or AS/A2 to have a look at and see what you think. Also download and read through some specifications from the exam boards www.aqa.org.uk or www.edexcel.org.uk are the main two I think, but have a moment reading the spec to see what needs to be taught.
    Have you gone into a school yet? see if you can get in (I would ask now and try and arrange for June when its a little quieter and some of the exam groups have gone) and see what is being taught and how. Please post where you are, it is highly likely someone may be able to have you in.
    Good luck and if you are in the Channel Islands I would be happy to have you in.
    IA x

4. There are several PGCE options, for example, we run one at Dixons in Bradford on behalf of Sheffield Hallam University. You will need to be able to teach textiles up to A level and one other area of D&T up to KS3. On our course that would be resistant materials.
    You really do need to consider the availability of jobs and the future of textiles (which is seen in some circles as a weak area of D&T despite the best GCSE performance).. Textiles is also taught within Art & Design so you may need to consider this route.
    It will be essential to have some experience in school before applying. Typically a placement of several weeks. Be prepared to teach how to make pencil cases to all Year 7. There is a lot of mundane work to do before you can get the students up to A level.
    I suspect the job you have in mind is pretty rare and extremely competitive. Also bear in mind that the recruiment goalposts are constantly moving. You need a 1st or 2:1 to get a bursary at the moment. With falling roles nationally and the need for fewer D&T teachers (for a whole host of reasons) you will have to be pretty good in the classroom to stand a chance.
    Work back from the idea of how many textiles designers we need each year and how many teaching jobs that requires. The reality is that textile teachers can enrich the lives of a great many students if they think about being a teacher of D&T first (or Art & Design) and a teacher of textles as a means to an end. Engaging boys, using electronics in textile products, making full use of smart and modern materials, the STEM agenda are all issues you will have to face.
    Not trying to put you off but you do have to be realistic about what you are getting into.

5. Hi guys

Thanks for getting back to me:D You've given me a lot to think about....

I do have a 1st but I'm not sure I can get a grant to do a PCET? and am thinking perhaps FE and community teaching might be for me?! As regards to job shortages I think I would like to run workshops in the community, so perhaps this can be my plan B if teaching doesn't workout.

You certainly havn't put me off! I met a maths teachers on friday and was told teaching is great, rewarding etc etc, so I'd like to stick with my goal :D

Great Idea about work experience. I've jost got a job teaching in nurseries with a view to moving up to primary after school club...so I hope this helps and I must get some FE experience asap :O

Thanks again

6. Good idea will do and I have read through the AQA award GCSE and A-level and it really is the sort of thing I'd like to teach...so I better keep researching!

7. ..and I live near Bristol.