1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to become a GCSE/A-LEVEL Textiles teacher?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by molgo, May 3, 2012.

1. Hi everyone...

I would like to become a textiles teacher and plan to study 2013/14 at UWE (maybe??). Just wanted to ask if the PGCE or PCET will allow me to do this? and if I can use this route to teach in FE aswell?
    And if I need lots of industry experience to teach in FE?
    Oh and are the teaching hours limited doing A-LEVEL GCSE and can you just teach at this level in schools?
    I'm pretty clueless as I'm sure you can tel!!!:D

2. Hi everyone...

I would like to become a textiles teacher and plan to study 2013/14 at UWE (maybe??). Just wanted to ask if the PGCE or PCET will allow me to do this? and if I can use this route to teach in FE aswell?
    And if I need lots of industry experience to teach in FE?
    Oh and are the teaching hours limited doing A-LEVEL GCSE and can you just teach at this level in schools?
    I'm pretty clueless as I'm sure you can tel!!!:D

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

If you teach at a Secondary school you usually have to teach all Key Stages. 11-18 year olds... it is sometimes the case that newly qualified teachers would not be given exam groups straight away.
    Textiles quite often comes under the Design Technology Faculty and is not necessarily an Art subject, more about production and manufacture with a theory paper, rather than purely creative.
    To get onto a PGCE course you will need to do planty of research so you understand how things like this work.... they will almost certainly want you to have school experience so you will need to arrange at least a one week observation.