1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to be embarrassed by one's cat!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Aug 28, 2011.

1. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

My cat will not let me brush her,one stroke and she will bite me. However,she will my neighbour do it without any problem. The cat disappeared for hours this afternoon and came back with her fur all brushed and beautiful. How embarrassing! It's a bit like sending kids away in dirty clothes and having them sent back all cleaned.

2. That's because she eats there all the time, prompting said neighbours to tell everyone in the street "Personally I don't think CM ever feeds her, she is always starving when she comes to us".

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Yes,I'm sure she does that too!

4. Yes, my Boris does that too. Disappears regularly for 48 hours unless its raining, and looks as fat as a doughnut.
    Meanwhile his brother, Gengis, is constantly at home and eats 5 meals a day and is dead thin.
    Has Boris found a better food outlet me thinks?

5. Poor Boris can't get a look in for Gengis.
    A friends dog used to do the rounds every tea time, my house two other neighbours then back home for his own tea.

6. Aw no, Boris is much loved. He just ranges.

7. Awe sorry, I'm sure he is, only kidding.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Boris & Gengis - excellent cat names! [​IMG]
    Almost as good as Evil & Mental (ex-boyfriend's mum's cats).

9. one of our cats keeps getting locked in neighbours' houses. I come home from work and see her pawing at the window to get out. She must sneak in when they're going out to work or something.

I know the woman two doors down feeds my cats. And takes them to bed with her, which I find slightly odd. my cats are tramps.

10. How old is he? I don't mean to scaremonger but have you considered a thyroid issue? They're common in older cats according to our vet and one of the symptoms is being very scrawny and thin despite eating well. Our 16 year old cat is being treated for it at the moment.

11. Our female cat clambered all over my dad's lap when my parents went to view her and her siblings and wouldn't leave him alone. As soon as we got her home, she ignored everybody and has never been on a lap since and she's now 15! In fact, she's timid and scared of everything. She does love being brushed though!

12. He is only 2 and a half. He is not scrawny, but it is his breed type ( burmeseX) to be a little on the svelte side. I do think maybe he needs worming now though as routine. Boris is also burmese, but true breed, hence the difference.
    I think that is what it is, they are both big.

13. My most embarrassing moment happened with my previous cat.T he Police got me out of bed really early on a Saturday to search my garden for a glove (!). The cat had had a little accident which was all over the carpet. I leaned over as I let the Police in to clear it up out of their way. Only later did it dawn on me that I was wearing a short nighty and no knickers!!

14. REteacherrocks, flippin' eck!

15. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

When my son was born my Mum very kindly came over to get our house ready for the baby so that when we brought him home it was immaculate. Everything looked beautiful and organised, fresh flowers, shopping done - the lot.
    The next morning, as arranged, we had our first visit from the community midwife. She had a good look round as she perched on the edge of our sofa and she was smiling until she spotted our cat sitting minding his own business in the corner.
    There followed a 10 minute lecture on why cats and babies don't mix - the dangers of cat poo, smothering, allergies - you name it. It was safe to say that this woman was not a cat person.
    Well we were nervous new parents, anxious to come accross as suitable people to be left in charge of a baby and keen to explain to her that OUR cat was the sweetest natured, most timid, most well behaved cat that had ever lived.
    At this point the cat walked past us on his way outside only pausing to give the midwife a cool hard stare.
    Five minutes later as we sipped our tea there was a thumping noise from the kitchen and all of a sudden the cat burst into the room with his mouth full of magpie. It wasn't quite dead so the cat commenced a game of 'magpie and mouse' up and down the living room as my OH chased him.
    There were bird entrails, poo, feathers strewn all over the living room carpet.
    The midwife turned to me with a patronising smile and I said 'Look. He's brought a present for the baby!'

16. Priceless.

17. Don't mean to be rude but are you sure he hasn't got worms? Lots of food, no exercise and still being thin suggests some kind of problem.

18. My next door neighbour's cat is currently on my flatmat's bed making herself very much alone. Ans we do not feed her. We feed the local strays but not any cat we think or know has a home.
    We don't take her to bed but if the window is open in the night she will come in and make herself at home.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Nor ours, and her fur's very matted near her tail at present. Try brushing her when she's gorging at the trough and she emits this weird gurgly growling sound then runs off.

Our other cat was absolutely horrendous at the cattery. The younger staff wouldn't go near her, and the owner used to wear thick leather gauntlets to handle her. She had a bad reputation there and no mistake - I suspect they were quite relieved when she passed away. At home she wasn't always a ***** cat but we knew when she was getting p*ssed off and managed to avoid the worst of her temper. I think she'd had a traumatic early upbringing before she turned up at the rescue centre where we got her from. In other respects she was a character - sadly missed.

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] Brilliant!