1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to avoid being patronising?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lillibit, Jan 12, 2011.

1. lillibit

lillibit New commenter

I just get the feeling that I always get this wrong - so would appreciate the help from those of you with more experience. My son is thinking of applying for a teaching assistant's post in a secondary school for children with learning difficulties [communication, speech and lang, aspergers, behaviour and judging by their leaflet some cerebral palsy challenges. He - like me - hence I cannot advise him - feel as if we may be patronising/getting it wrong [example speaking to the carer/adult rather than the child] - am I explaining myself? What is the best assumption/approach to make? Your advice would be value. Thank you.

2. lillibit

lillibit New commenter

I just get the feeling that I always get this wrong - so would appreciate the help from those of you with more experience. My son is thinking of applying for a teaching assistant's post in a secondary school for children with learning difficulties [communication, speech and lang, aspergers, behaviour and judging by their leaflet some cerebral palsy challenges. He - like me - hence I cannot advise him - feel as if we may be patronising/getting it wrong [example speaking to the carer/adult rather than the child] - am I explaining myself? What is the best assumption/approach to make? Your advice would be value. Thank you.