1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to assess Primary French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lizzietutormay, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Hi,

I'm teaching French as a visiting teacher on a part-time basis and I am being asked to recommend methods of assessing KS2 French. Are there any guidelines out there? I've trawled the web and have come across a lot of dead ends and out of date sites. I am using a mix of my own materials and Wakefield Schemes of Work, but am interested in sharing ideas with any experienced teachers out there.

Thank you

Liz Garratt

2. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Hi Liz, you're right, there are no guidelines out there! My first piece of advice would be to look at what the school is doing for other subjects and see if it would be applicable to Languages. A lot of schools are using the mastering/embedding/etc scheme, and as far as I know nobody has worked out how the PoS statements transfer to those statements for each year group! Personally I use a series of "I can" statements, which I have worked out to accompany my schemes of work. Both my HTs are happy with this. At our recent primary Hub meeting, the secondary teachers said that I can statements are most useful for them as they say clearly what the children can and can't do. It's a common language, if you like. Hope this helps.

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

4. funambule

funambule New commenter

You might also find this useful:

https://talkaboutprimarymfl.wikispaces.com/Assessment

Lots more of interest still on this wikispace.

5. brettl

brettl New commenter

Hi Geekie, thank you for the 'I can' idea - I'm teaching French in our adjacent Primary, however, this year we're down to 25 min lessons which is NOTHING. Existing SoW out of the window as we had to massively shorten and cut down. No sound basics for any formal assessment of kind.

Will do the 'I can' in the last lesson and take the ones from the students that will join us with me, tell the others to take theirs to their Secondary. - Not happy with the KS2 SoW either, there are no definite statements as to what language, how often etc.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When I did Primary French I went with the 'I can' statements and made a certificate for the children at the end of the year.

7. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

The best guidance about the time allocation is in the KS2 Framework. DfE has been very non-committal, saying "We trust schools to decide how to timetable it". I broke the new Programme of Study down by skill, and it's easier to understand what the "substantial progress" is that way.