1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to ask for annual calendar... and get one!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GTP-er, Dec 13, 2011.

1. My query is as per the title really, how can I go about asking the new HT for the annual calendar (which I strongly suspect doesn't exist) without coming across as <strike>a calendar-obsessed loon</strike> a pain in the backside?
    Back in September I asked directly and was fobbed off. I asked again when I sent through a list of 3 dates that I would be unable to do parents' evenings due to my partner (secondary teacher) having parents' evenings on those occasions, for which we would be unable to arrange childcare... HT was dismissive again (and the parents' evening dates were eventually sent to staff 4 weeks prior to them being held).
    In October and again in November I asked when the calendar would be published and if I could be involved in looking at dates for various assessment cycles (a new responsibility for me as of this half term) and also any Christmas concert that might require the choir (which I run). This time I was told that it, "doesn't really matter at the moment".
    Thing is, I think it does matter! I have tried to explain that I would find it helpful to know when parents' evenings, concerts etc. are scheduled so that I can plan ahead in terms of co-ordinating assessment analyses, selecting repertoire and rehearsing the choir, arranging childcare etc. etc. but each time I come away having achieved nothing. Since September all sorts of events/meetings/deadlines have clashed, not just for me but across the whole school (nursery to Y6).
    So, what next? I'm a member of the NASUWT so could, I suppose, use the script all members have been sent but I think that will go down like a lead balloon. Likewise quoting from the STPCD. Or are they my only options now?

2. My query is as per the title really, how can I go about asking the new HT for the annual calendar (which I strongly suspect doesn't exist) without coming across as <strike>a calendar-obsessed loon</strike> a pain in the backside?
    Back in September I asked directly and was fobbed off. I asked again when I sent through a list of 3 dates that I would be unable to do parents' evenings due to my partner (secondary teacher) having parents' evenings on those occasions, for which we would be unable to arrange childcare... HT was dismissive again (and the parents' evening dates were eventually sent to staff 4 weeks prior to them being held).
    In October and again in November I asked when the calendar would be published and if I could be involved in looking at dates for various assessment cycles (a new responsibility for me as of this half term) and also any Christmas concert that might require the choir (which I run). This time I was told that it, "doesn't really matter at the moment".
    Thing is, I think it does matter! I have tried to explain that I would find it helpful to know when parents' evenings, concerts etc. are scheduled so that I can plan ahead in terms of co-ordinating assessment analyses, selecting repertoire and rehearsing the choir, arranging childcare etc. etc. but each time I come away having achieved nothing. Since September all sorts of events/meetings/deadlines have clashed, not just for me but across the whole school (nursery to Y6).
    So, what next? I'm a member of the NASUWT so could, I suppose, use the script all members have been sent but I think that will go down like a lead balloon. Likewise quoting from the STPCD. Or are they my only options now?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Why not offer to put one together for the school? My school has the calendar planned with important dates at least two years in advance.
    The calendar is now completely online. However it used to be in the form of a booklet produced every term, given to every staff member and student. Within it were the dates for all important school events, inter-school events, etc. etc.
    It is a pain to produce the first time because you need to make sure everybody gives the relevant information before a cut-off date, but after a while it just becomes a normal part of the school cycle.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The script you've been given also tells you to consult your local secretary if need be. A HT who doesn't adhere to paragraphs 67, 68 and 203 of the STPCD is a fool and on a hiding to nothing.