1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to apply for another job whilst an NQT?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ptripp, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I started at my current school in September as an NQT. I'm not very happy for a number of reasons, mainly that I feel the school was misrepresented to me during the interview process and that rather than the department being 'forward thinking and innovative' as it was sold to me, my subject (science) is going to be downgraded to an option if they get academy status.
    I've seen an advert on TES for a job I'd like to apply for, but I know that there'll be 100+ applicants for it so my chances are slim (though statistically I have as much chance as anyone else - I got this job after all). So do I tell the Head of Science that I'm applying or just send off my application without saying anything? At what stage would the other school request a reference? And would the fact that I'm moving schools again so soon count against me?
    My other worry is that I found out today if science is downgraded, there is talk of redundancies and I feel that if I apply for the job and don't get it, I'll be first out when the redundancies come up.
    What's everyone's advice please? Thanks.

2. I started at my current school in September as an NQT. I'm not very happy for a number of reasons, mainly that I feel the school was misrepresented to me during the interview process and that rather than the department being 'forward thinking and innovative' as it was sold to me, my subject (science) is going to be downgraded to an option if they get academy status.
    I've seen an advert on TES for a job I'd like to apply for, but I know that there'll be 100+ applicants for it so my chances are slim (though statistically I have as much chance as anyone else - I got this job after all). So do I tell the Head of Science that I'm applying or just send off my application without saying anything? At what stage would the other school request a reference? And would the fact that I'm moving schools again so soon count against me?
    My other worry is that I found out today if science is downgraded, there is talk of redundancies and I feel that if I apply for the job and don't get it, I'll be first out when the redundancies come up.
    What's everyone's advice please? Thanks.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Just explain your concerns and go for it. As long as you make it clear there is nothing personal then I can't see there being problems. I think there will be more upset if you don't mention it. x

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to be straight with the school if you are not happy and want to move. In addition the HOD will be asked for a reference so they should be forewarned. However you only have one term to finish your induction and you should think carefully before risking this. Induction posts are hard to find and almost inmpossible in some parts of the country. Redundancies are not always based on the last in first out principle these days as employers are required to be more systematic in their approach.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT apply for the job without telling anyone. This is incredibly unprofessional. You need to name your HT and head of department as referees, so it is courteous to ask their permission.
    Request a meeting with your HT and explain your concerns about your subject being downgraded. If it is downgraded, and uptake of the subject is low, this could mean that your job isn't secure anyway, so your headteacher should understand that you have to ensure you have a job come September.