1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to answer the question "why have you left your job" at interview?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by DaisyBill, Oct 30, 2017.

1. DaisyBill

DaisyBill New commenter

I recently resigned my post for a combination of reasons, i was very unhappy there, didn't feel the right decisions were being made for my subject area and as a teacher who loves their job and is very passionate about their subject i didn't want to start resenting teaching. it was agreed i could leave sooner than the contractual period as the head understood how unhappy i was.

I have an interview coming up (and it is a position i really want) and am not sure the best way to answer any questions relating to this decision, especially as i left without a job to go to. Do i just say it as i have worded above or is their a better way?

Any advise or experience with this that might help,

Many thanks,

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well hopefully you won't be asked this.
    I think it's generally accepted, that in the concern for 'an equal playing fiield' all candidates should be asked the same questions and unless you're all in the same position that might make it unfair.

On the other hand ,once in feedback I was told there was one question which only I'd been asked, so it could be they would like some indication. In which case be very diplomatic, saying something like you realised that a change was needed to re-invigorate your teaching / you found on working there that you hadn't settled as well as you'd hoped and for the good of the children you felt an early exit was the best solution. Make it all about your concern for the students and their education and no thing detrimental about the previous school.

JohnJCazorla and sparkleghirl like this.
  3. DaisyBill

DaisyBill New commenter

thank you for your feedback

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

if the the reasons you give are a fair assessment of why you left then be honest!
    Its obvious that your dissatisfaction with the current post prompted your departure with the freedom to then look for a more suitable post.
    You may need to clarify what decisions you felt were detrimental to your subject and why the new school is a better option for you
    Good luck

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I don't know thats it generally accepted, it certainly isn't by the Schools HR people in the two LAs where I am involved in recruitment. Yes we start with a set of questions that are identical for all candidates, questions which cover the whole of the Person Specification. But after that we can ask additional specific questions that relate to their own application form if we think it relevant. Obviously they are different for every candidate.

So OP could be asked the reason why they left. Although most application forms ask you to say why you left, you might be asked to expand on your answer.

Pomz and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Same here - We start with the same basic questions for all candidates, but then follow-up on responses and, where relevant, items mentioned on the application form.

if I were interviewing the OP, I'd definitely ask why they left the last school without a job to go to. I'd also ask what type of 'decisions' caused the unhappiness. What if we were likely to make similar decisions? Would the candidate be unhappy working in this new job too?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. DaisyBill

DaisyBill New commenter

Thank you for all your feedback

Lara mfl 05 likes this.