1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to address IP theft?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by jonathan_white, Jun 17, 2020.

1. jonathan_white

jonathan_white New commenter

Let’s say I create a resource for sale here and a fellow teacher X buys it.

In the same school where X works, there are two other teachers in his department: Y and Z, and Z is a friend of mine.

Z learns that X gave the resource he bought from me to Y for free and tells this to me.

What do I do? I imagine suing someone for £2-3 worth of teaching resources would be pointless, right?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You don't really do anything I am afraid. People breach copyright all the time, which I know doesn't make it right, but it is hardly going to be worth the time and effort pursuing every case. Chances are you have breached copyright yourself on occasion (knowingly or unknowingly).

3. myersale

myersale New commenter

Yes, taking someone to court for that small sum is entirely pointless. Look at it positively: people want to use your resources, and at least one of your teachers has purchased it legally. Who knows, perhaps the increased exposure and use that your resource is experiencing will result in more sales further down the road.

Personally, I let teachers in my department / my school use my resources for free. We are colleagues, after all.

4. Elsasupport

Elsasupport New commenter

Does it say very clearly in your resource that this is not to be shared? I wouldn't rely on the TES licence to be honest and make sure you have your own terms CRYSTAL clear in your resource.
    Apart from that there is little you can do but you could have a word with x and tell them not to do that anymore.