1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How thorough is your planning then?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT1986, Jan 27, 2011.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I've just read through the thread on planning and there seems to be a vast difference in what is expected from people! I was just wondering what youre school asked for (and also if they were in special measures or classed as an 'Outstanding' school!?)

My school is 'Outstanding' (well, it was last year) and we are required to do a Year Plan (one side of A4), medium term plans for English/Maths (A4 each) and a topic web. Each week, we do an A4 side for Maths and one for English which detail objectives, OMS, Main activity, differentiated activities (per 4/5 groups), plenary and any extra SEN/EAL groups. The foundation is one one further page which has an objective/starter/activity and plenary for each foundation subject.
    Lesson plans aren't expected unless you are being observed and plans aren't submitted until the Monday AFTER the week the plans are for, once you have done evaluation comments.

This takes ages, but could be worse, I suppose.

Is anyone expected to do lesson plans for each lesson?

2. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I've just read through the thread on planning and there seems to be a vast difference in what is expected from people! I was just wondering what youre school asked for (and also if they were in special measures or classed as an 'Outstanding' school!?)

My school is 'Outstanding' (well, it was last year) and we are required to do a Year Plan (one side of A4), medium term plans for English/Maths (A4 each) and a topic web. Each week, we do an A4 side for Maths and one for English which detail objectives, OMS, Main activity, differentiated activities (per 4/5 groups), plenary and any extra SEN/EAL groups. The foundation is one one further page which has an objective/starter/activity and plenary for each foundation subject.
    Lesson plans aren't expected unless you are being observed and plans aren't submitted until the Monday AFTER the week the plans are for, once you have done evaluation comments.

This takes ages, but could be worse, I suppose.

Is anyone expected to do lesson plans for each lesson?

3. Hiya,
    I'm in a good school.
    We do a long term plan for the year-split into topics, subjects and skills-but this is very flexible.

Each week I do a lit and num plan-mine is very detailed so that my TAs know what to do-esecially as one supports a boy with Autism so she needs to do mini timetables throughout the day so he knows exactly what's going on. I also do a weekly creative curriculum plan where I record the skills, obj, starter and main-this is for all the foundation subjects. Also a weekly RE plan with skills, AT, resources, input and main. Also a weekly phonics. We have to upload the plan onto a teacher drive at school in case of absence.

4. I would say, OP, that you have it easy. Compared to my current placement school anyway. I have to do a plan a day for literacy and maths, foundation subjects each have to have an individual plan too. so 1 page for literacy, 1 page for numeracy, and 1 page for all foundation is not much at all.
    And I doubt you will get much traffic to this thread as it is basically the same as the current one about pressures for planning started by impulce.
    JSY x

5. We are a satisfactory school and we have to do a long term plan (overview of year and what topics for the creative curriculum we are doing) We then have to do a daily plan, which includes writing, maths and any other lessons we are doing that day, all with LO (taken from the NC) activities, differentiation and assessment. It isn't too bad really.

In my previous school we did a MTP and just wrote next to it the date in which it was covered. That too was fairly simple.