1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How the volume of air affects the length of time a candle burns??-Year 7 Interview lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by jdanyl, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hi folks,
    I have this interview next week investigating how the volume of air affects the length of time a candle burns?.
    Any ideas.Its for a Year 7 group?

2. Hi folks,
    I have this interview next week investigating how the volume of air affects the length of time a candle burns?.
    Any ideas.Its for a Year 7 group?

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

This is a difficult one as the relationship is a) not linear and b) is affected by other factors such as the height of the candle!

So you need candles of all the same length. I would go for candles at least 5 cm tall.

Let them do the investigation. Emphise the 'fairness' of the testing. Look at where errors can occur (it can be difficult to judge when the candle actually goes out).

If you repeat then you need to make sure the air in every jar has been replenished. You need to lay each container on its side for a few minutes between tests.

you could intorduce or review the fire triangle with the group.

4. thanks very much blazer.

5. I use lengths of taper held in a bit of plasticine.
    As the candle goes out there is a small amount of smoke visible - I ask them to look for this, rather than the disappearing flame.