1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How the poisoning of education by league tables is manifested

Discussion in 'Education news' started by afterdark, May 21, 2019.

1. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

stonerose, Mrsmumbles and FrankWolley like this.
  2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Betcha this happens more widely than is admitted.
    Betcha the demographics of the students affected would tell a story of its own.

Any school which dumps on kids in this way should be automatically put into special measures until management is removed and the policy changed. And the managers responsible should never be allowed near education again.

3. drek

drek Lead commenter

I’m going against the grain here.
    I doubt it was over one poor mock result. It was probably a combination of a lack off attendance, effort, independent study and or repeated disruptiveness.
    Having said that the school should not have allowed the student to sign up for an unsuitable course for the sake of boosting numbers in the first place.....
    I remember having to take my folder of results and having an interview with the professors, even a short test, before deciding if a science and maths course was for me or not.
    These days its the ‘I want it and I want it now’ crowd that indeed get what they want exactly how they want it but then baulk when they realise it involves doing a lot of independent work.
    The students in the report are still whining. The boy who says it’s messed up his revision. That statement alone says he has not done any so far.
    The girl who says she could not study all year due to health reasons. Surely repeating the year rather than failing is a sensible choice.
    It is obvious that even at this stage they believe that four weeks of sporadic study to make up for a two year course can get them a pass grade in a science A-Level.
    That might have worked on the old gcse which is the last exam they probably sat.
    Would universities give them a place if they fail a course?
    The idea of giving students opportunities just because they come from a certain demographic to balance the opportunity scale is coming home to roost.
    They should be given the same opportunities if they’ve earned it.
    Science exam results are not a subjective mark hence comparable in terms of earning the result.

gainly likes this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Also, it encourages ruthless amorality in what was supposed to be a caring profession. Nowadays, teaching is a ruthless business, not a caring profession!

stonerose likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I agree with @drek. These students are more likely a victim of the school's 'bums on seats' policy, in search of the maximum capitation. Students get put on unsuitable courses, and ejected once the school does not have to give back the money!

@Mrsmumbles. Government does not give a toss about schools, other than to run them as cheaply as possible. Would you believe a government that abolished the MOT and the driving test, and then trumpeted its commitment to road safety? Similarly, would a government that has de-professionalised teaching by abolishing the requirement to have a teaching, or indeed any, qualifications, to be a teacher, be committed to education?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    tonymars, HelenREMfan and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I'd agree with @drek. It reminds me of a student I tutored (briefly) for AS physics many years ago, in the days when there were modules in January. She got 13% in her mock exam and couldn't understand it as she'd done "2 whole hours revision"! Unsurprisingly the school decided she couldn't enter the exam in January.

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Quite right, they giveth not a toss. Funny that you used a driving metaphor. I used a similar one today with a friend when I explained to him why teaching in schools was no longer for me. I said that the expectations they place on kids and staff now are both deranged and fatally flawed, like cramming everyone through driving manoeuvre after manoeuvre and expecting them to ace a complex driving test in hardly any time, when all the while, the SLT is not bothered about/ does not want to pay for hiring the right teachers to teach the students the highway code...CRAAAASH!

8. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

So we have:

A girl that missed a year's schooling and
    A boy who has sat several mocks and done poorly

And....

The school has a policy of completing several mocks and giving support before using it's final sanction for students who are underperforming.....

This doesn't seem unreasonable. At all.

9. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I have no issue with students not being allowed to sit exams if they are given plenty of notice. Withdrawing them a month before they are due to sit them does seem extreme and the decision should have been much earlier.

To some extent this seems the logical follow up to students who have been given chance after chance to hand work in late and therefore expect to be allowed to get away with a lack of study (as they may have been earlier in their education)