1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How the first term been for you?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by steviepal, Dec 23, 2018.

1. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Nothing at all. Now looking into if we can financially afford for me to go back to uni to change career because supply as a route to get a foot back in the door with teaching (I've had a few years off to have my kids) seems a dead end.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi.

I took years out for kids.

Supply Teaching has got me back in but I'm only ever likely to be temporary. I get work most of the time because I accept long term.

I should add I'm only part-time at the moment despite agency telling me there was lots of work when I jumped ship early at last post. It suits me but not what I would have chosen. I think I need more regular full-time work soon, but will probably struggle to find it.

It took me about 3-4 years to be in position I'm in now. I doubt I would ever be offered a permanent post and I've stopped trying for the moment.

I would definitely want to retrain if I was younger.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

ABC

What do you think you might retrain for?

4. pwtin

pwtin Star commenter

Not meaning to offend any one here, but yes over the many years I have been doing supply, work has diminished and competition is great. However, it is made worse by retired teachers returning to supply, especially when they do not need the money. I can understand their desire to return to the classroom, but equally it makes work scarcer for everyone else, especially those just starting out and all of us in dire need of the money. I turn down TA work as I see this as taking work away from the actual TA's out there on supply, if more and more teachers are doing this things must be really bad for them on the work front.

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  5. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Looking at possibly retraining into speech and language therapy - developed a real interest in it when my daughter had obviously big issues with her speech and seeing just how much it impacted upon her and our whole family.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi ABC

If you could find a bursary/grant/assistance I would say retrain if you can. How easy would it be for you to find work after you retrain?

7. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Everyday so far. I got three days in September and they asked if I could stay until Christmas and now its become until April.

The school itself is quite nice it has some quirks but the hod is enthusiastic and seems to have a plan. Its a fairly young department with new starters so the students don't know in supply which is quite nice.

I could gripe but actually I've worked in far worse. but the commute is 108 miles a day. I did get quite grouchy near Christmas because I was shattered and I've had a killer cold for over 4 weeks.

Overall I'm quite happy. There still seems to be supply in Lincolnshire I'm with quite a new agency.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

108 MILES A DAY - Rob - how on earth do you do it ?

For three years I did an 84 mile a day commute - mostly down A roads and country lanes in Bedfordshire - It took me well over an hour one way.

That was nearly 20 years ago - there is no way I could do that now.

My commute these days is about 25 miles.

One scary little story about that long commute - one hot evening I was coming home and finding it really difficult to stay awake. I remember coming off the very short stretch of motorway close to home and the next thing I remember was driving down a road I knew well but was completely on the other side of the city from where I came off the motorway and 20 minutes had passed.

I still have no idea what went on in those 20 minutes or what route I actually took.

les25paul, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. Robfreeman

Takes me an hour and ten each way but the m180 makes it nice most of the year though I live near skegness then the commute is about 90 miles round trip.

In answer to how do I do it.

I need the money I'm not retired don't have a pension I'm single and I need to pay bills.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Must cost a lot in petrol though.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. Robfreeman

65 pounds a week

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Bloody hell

When I was doing my long commute petrol was about 66p a litre !

tonymars, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I once had a daily commute of 95 miles per day at a school for 6 months. About two thirds of the journey was motorway, but a very busy motorway with several long term road works in place. Plus I still had to get from from the motorway. Journey time was an hour and a half upwards ( so three hours a day)and it was costing me about £80 a week in petrol. That was about one day's pay after tax. I kept doing it because was it was a decent school and I was afraid there might not be anything else if I turned it down, But it was the last long commute I ever accepted again and restricted myself to a one hour/ 40 mile maximum commute from then on.

My current commute (to a non teaching job) is about 25 miles a day in total. But the traffic has got so bad it can take a hour one way. I occasionally ride my motorbike but its getting so dangerous now that is becoming less often. My current car is pretty good on fuel it cost about £25 to £30 a week. I can also use public transport, this will cost me about £50 per week but take no longer time wise. That might be worth considering if we get some really bad winter weather.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I travel in to school at 6 am for precisely those reasons

15. Robfreeman

What time do you leave school?

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We finish at 2.45 pm and I am usually back on the road by 3.30 pm - unless we have a meeting.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  17. Robfreeman

Makes sense I go at 7 leave at 430.

18. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Yep, that about sums it up for me too.

19. HS65

HS65 Occasional commenter

It’s been ok for me ...... first two weeks I only had Thursday and Friday on a long term contract. Then daily stuff picked up and it was every day for a couple of weeks ..... one of the daily schools has turned into a long term contract until April.