1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How the first term been for you?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by steviepal, Dec 23, 2018.

1. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Hi all,
    I managed to get 10 days teaching work and 19 days as a ta. Have you done better/worse?

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I'm like a cracked record on this forum: 0 days!

3. steviepal

Blimey

4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Well done on getting 19 days as a TA.
    Did you top your pay up by doing Lunch Time duty too?

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Zip, zilch, zero!:(

6. steviepal

Ha ha. Very good. You going to pay my bills? If so, great. I'll stay at home listening out for a call for teaching work that isn't there. Nice one.

7. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

I'd had around a month of supply teacher work, the rest as a TA really. :( Sad times.

@schoolsout4summer you must live in lala land if you think we can say no to TA work. Supply teacher days are thin on the ground as is.
    I know someone in primary who has had 4 days - turns down TA work through and doesn't have a car too so guess it limits where he can go.

8. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

For the first half term, very little. Maybe about 2 weeks worth. I was lucky to then start a maternity cover and that’s meant to last until summer 2019.
    Then back on the pile again

9. steviepal

Hi.
    I've got a 2 day per week maternity cover too in a special school. Ploughing my way through planning from an unfamiliar curriculum. Reminds me of why I went on supply in the first place. I've had a good 15 year run on it. Shame it seems to be coming to an end.

10. timson6

timson6 Occasional commenter

I've had 9 days work this term, but then I'm primary supply which has almost disappeared in my area and been taken over by LSAs, HLTAs and teachers with frees and etc. Schools seem to be so short of money, they can't afford the luxury of supply cover.
    I think agencies are also suffering as a result of this downturn in the demand for their services. My consultant who left in the summer hasn't been replaced and her area has been added to another consultants list of schools to find cover for.
    I agree that it's a shame supply seems to be coming to an end.

11. steviepal

Well that's good for now. Maybe you'll get a job out of it. Might as well, you're doing all the work anyway.

12. steviepal

Challenging times indeed. Good luck.

13. steviepal

I'm guessing you have other income.

pepper5 likes this.
  14. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Nah I’m covering the HOD and she’s definitely coming back. They’d take a former student teacher (doing her NQT year on fixed term maternity cover contract) before they took me on.
    Never gonna happen. I’m too expensive. Desperate for a permanent job but English is awash with enthusiastic NQTs.

15. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Yes, @steviepal, I have my Teacher's pension, so I don't really need the money. It was a way of keeping my hand in and choosing a few days' work when times were better.

pepper5 likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not sure you can really do that these days Bertie - although I'm not currently on supply I know a few supply teachers and a lady who is a consultant for a large agency in town.

You really have to be available all the time now to get regular work.

I also live in a city where there are many schools and there has traditionally been a lot of supply work available. When I was last on supply (4 years ago) - I worked for all but one day after the October half term.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Got 9 weeks altogether. Just under 8 of those in the same school.

FrauRussell and pepper5 like this.
  18. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

I've had a term in the same school, whilst they waited for new member of staff to work notice. Prospects for next term at the moment are only a possible maternity cover with a pig of a journey at a school I'm not that keen on the look of. A (paid) trial day looms, but I can't summon enthusiasm, and I'm hoping they have found/prefer someone else. I appreciate that may sound reckless but I have been a teacher a long time and I didn't go on supply to make the day worse. I have clearly said to my agencies maternity is too long (all the work and none of the perks) but I guess they have to keep trying. Yes I do need the money, and I'm concerned there isn't much secondary around unless you are maths, science or English - I'm none of those - but we shall have to see what 2019 holds. Good luck to us all!

19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi FrauRussell

I can definitely see why you wouldn't want a horrible journey on top of going to a school that might be a bit iffy. You don't sound reckless at all - everyone is ducking and diving and trying to make the most of what can be a very stressful job.

I have decided not to go to the very worst schools which will limit the amount of work I do, but I am DONE with the worst of the behaviour even if I only get two or three days at the better schools and I am like you - we need the money.

20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Longer term Temping is still ok - if you want it and/or can get it However, day2day Supply is becoming increasingly scarce.
    You need a second or even third income to survive on day2day Supply these days.