1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How succesful were the predictions for 2009?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tafkam, Dec 20, 2009.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The annual review of last year's predictions, and an opportunity to make some afresh.
    Among the succesful predictions from last year's thread, including the relagation of Newcastle Utd (emmapax), prizes much surely go to Pleugh and Celticqueen for the following offerings:
    A 100% success rate I'd say.

Almost spot on - baby not yet born, but on the way.
    And the frankly rather spooky:

Don't hold up much hope for Winehouse in the next couple of weeks!

So, what are folks offerings for predictions in 2010?

2. 1. Newcastle United to get promoted in 2010 (the eternal optimist!)
    2. General election in May 2010.
    3. Alex Ferguson finally retires.
    Very spooky predictions from pleugh & cq.

3. tafkam

Good point - should have mentioned for those who have not been kicking around this place for donkeys years, that tradition requires 3 predictions for the forthcoming 12 months.

Incidentally, it's worth noting that despite many predictions to the contrary this time last year, Boots, BHS and Superdrug are all still buoyant. Or at least, so they seem...

4. darkness

darkness New commenter

Well, I might as well make mine all political.

1) The Liberal democrats by surprise will get the 2nd most votes but form a coalition with Labour to take control, simply to keep the Tories out.

2) The Queen and/or Margaret Thatcher will die.

3) UK is found to still be in a recession having dire consequences.

5. ian60

ian60 New commenter

<ol>[*]England will win the world cup (c'mon!)[*]A Prince will become King[*]Flares will become fashionable</ol>

6. 1. England will lose in the semi finals of the world cup, but the nation will be sooooo proud.
    2. The recession will continue and strikes will increase and the conservatives will win the election and they will make striking illegal for jobs which offer important services.
    3. 2010 will see the coldest January on record with harsh snow, putting the global warming theory in doubt.

7. 1. There will be very significant public sector redundancies including within education
    2. There will be a major natural disaster somewhere in the USA
    3. There will be a scientific breakthrough with the potential to make a huge and positive impact globally.

8. tafkam

My offerings:
    1. The UK will come out of recession in the next quarter, based on miniscule growth, barely measurable above 0.
    2. Some ***-up in the Tory party will lead to their likely election win being put in jeopardy - UK will see first hung parliament election since the 70s
    3. The BBC will come up with a new alternative version of X-factor to try to compete for ratings, but it will be a complete flop.

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

1 WH Smiths will go bust
    2 Obama will send even more troops East, provoking backlash that (nearly) brings his presidency to an end
    3 Cameron will be replaced as Tory leader as soon as a General Election is declared (he's only holding the fort for the proper nasties after all) Teresa May will stand, but will be defeated by.......
    .......sorry, the crystal ball's got all steamed up. Can't see a thing! (Why don't they put demisters on these things?)

10. This is totally in bad taste.
    It is disgusting to make predictions of this nature.
    I hope you are not a teacher.

11. That's spooky about kate and peter divorcing. I'm pretty sure that poor old patrick Swayze had already been given a poor prognosis for his cancer, so predicting his death wasn't that hard (and perhaps a bit ghoulish, if you ask me).
    I am a bit dim here - who was the high profile person who committed suicide?

12. There was a link somewhere on the last thread to some German businessman I have never heard off who took his life early in January.
    Katie and Peter divorcing isn't that surprising really.

13. Katie Who?

14. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I'm going with:
    1. Jennifer Aniston getting pregnant
    2. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt splitting up (possibly linked to the above)
    3. Nick Griffin gets punched by an enraged member of the public

15. How fabulously highbrow of you.

16. I thought I read today in the 'paper' - could have been anything below the Mail in quality - that they were getting married again for the sake of the children??

17. Newcastle Utd WILL be back in the Premiership
    Bradley Wiggins will win the Tour de France (definitely at least a podium finish)
    Tories will be in...
    Joe McElderry will disappear into obscurity. Not hard to predict that one.

18. Who is Joe McElderry? He is already obscure.

19. Hurrah! Another optimist. [​IMG]

20. dande

dande New commenter