1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How stupid am I?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Must have been looking rather upset today. Called into head's office, (he hates people looking/being unhappy) and asked what was wrong. Burst into floods of tears and just talked a lot about how I hated my job at present. How I was unaware of how was I doing, how I felt a complete failure, how nobody communicates with each other . In fact talked about what everybody else thinks.
    During the crying session I was called out to do some first aid, so everybody knows I was upset.
    Has anyone else stunned the head with their outpourings?
    DIdi it do any good?

2. Must have been looking rather upset today. Called into head's office, (he hates people looking/being unhappy) and asked what was wrong. Burst into floods of tears and just talked a lot about how I hated my job at present. How I was unaware of how was I doing, how I felt a complete failure, how nobody communicates with each other . In fact talked about what everybody else thinks.
    During the crying session I was called out to do some first aid, so everybody knows I was upset.
    Has anyone else stunned the head with their outpourings?
    DIdi it do any good?

3. Had a similiar situation last year - got fed up being a doormat for other colleagues. Things have got little better ( I even get a smile and a good morning every now and again) and I just felt a whole lot better for getting it off my chest!
    Dont't worry about it - and enjoy the Christmas holidays[​IMG]

4. I have. New HT as well. he had to go and get a box of tissues! He was lovely. Nothing has changed yet though.

5. Thanks you to let me know I am not alone.
    Tiredness has set in, tidying up has begun.
    As usual not part of celebrations, assemblies,. end of term show.
    Still feel as though I hate the job, although after the holiday I know I will feel different. (At least I hope so!!)

6. Awwwww.... That's sad that you're not part of the celebrations etc, could you not ask to be involved? What did the Head say after you poured out your woes to him? (((hugs)))
    Wren

7. We are a very blubby staff-hardly a week goes by without someone in tears.
    Schools have become such pressured places and it's not surprising that people sometimes struggle to manage the workload.
    Same here, this time of year TAs are used to sort out end of term stuff, displays, lamimating, preparation etc. Ensuring that children have costumes for the Nativity has been my only involvement in this years production.
    Can you pin point what it is that is stressing you? How will things be different after the holiday or is it something within you that is changeable?
    Take care-hope you feel better after the much needed holidays - most of us are on our last legs this week!

8. You aren't stupid at all. I can't think of a TA who hasn't had a weep, and I know a fair few teachers who have as well. Proves we're human.
    Have a good rest over the break, you deserve it. [​IMG]

9. Hiya
    I think that every TA has at some point broken down and poured out their woes. It is a stressful job and a job that encourages you to become emotionally attatched and therefore most people are bound to get het up and wobbly.
    I'm sure that the head wasn't too stunned and I bettya he has seen it before.
    I think that it will have done you a lot of good to offload and it's bound to have at least made the head aware that things aren't always rosy.
    I know when I had an" episode" in the head's office I felt hugely better and that it was worth it...did it change anything else? No not really!

10. Definitely would do that if only the HT had a moment to spare. I am SOoooooo fed up. Have just sat in the bath for an hour, working myself up over the injustices until I sat there crying! Daft but feel a bit better. I really think many HTs don't want TAs to stay long in their schools as we get expensive! I have been told that it is not within my remit to think, nor talk to parents. My brain is numb from boredom: We used to actually teach small groups, but now we just 'rollerskate' between tables - sorting out problems with the rubber or petty arguments etc. At lunchtime last week two teachers and I were sat in the staff room, and they sat opposite me whispering to each other! How patronising!! The list of this sort of immature behavior goes on, so I am handing my notice in on day 1 of the spring term - I am worth more than this!!
    As for not being part of the celebrations...that is just terrible. No inclusion for TAs. (You're not in one of Surrey's top primaries are you?!)

11. I am based in East Sussex.
    Have just received email from my year group leader telling me my new group, what I will be doing and would I look at the plans before I return to school? This is so we can begin working the moment we return from the break.
    I suppose the only good thing about having the information is the fact I am not expected to find out 5 minutes before we start the session!![​IMG]