1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How student teachers engage in developing professional identity ?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ravinderbishnoi_ca, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Hi all !

This is my first post here on this platform. I am interested to engage in a reflexive and dialogic interactions with student teachers who are in the middle of their journey of becoming future teachers cutting across all over the world. My threads involve as below:

1. Does social media engagement help student teachers to identify what they want to become as professional?
    2. If so then in what social media they participate in to involve in dialogue with self and others in order to create their respective spaces?
    3. What spaces student teachers create when they engage in the process of identity work?

I will be highly appreciate if readers involve in a heathy and reflexive discussion in relation to these questions.

Thanks.
    Rav

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Is this a wind up?

Billie73 likes this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

No, He/she is Canadian and they don't have a sense of humour:p

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Out of interest do you think that teacher's professional identity is predominantly internally constructed or is there more of a top down approach in its construction?

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Hi - they are good questions.

Social media relies on closed groups to introduce privacy. There is a link between privacy and the level of reflection and reflexion that occurs within groups of trainees online during social media interactions.
    They tend to use WhatsApp or closed FB home pages. What is key is the push notification option - glassboard and alternatives without this do not work effectively.
    There is a real issue with identity construction, particularly in the UK, due to the erosion of autonomy and the increase in high stakes capability. Identity is therefore constructed within private spaces, but a contrived identity presented to externals who are in a power relationship. These forums are a good example of the difference between 'real' identity protected by anonymity and the presented identity reported in the forums as issues within their ability to operate within contexts such as schools. Edutwitter demonstrates some of the issues with operating in a public identity and discussing pedagogical views.

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I thought he was taking the pi *s!