1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How soon do you countdown?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jet786, Jun 11, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Me too!

I expect to teach until the penultimate day!

It gets harder as this term goes on, not easier!

2. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

I have been counting down for quite a while because of various issues at school but I'm now onto days!! 30 left to do! :)

3. Me too! But we probably have Ofsted this week! After that I refuse to get stressed over anything!!

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

Urgh!! Good luck if you do! xxx

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

how do you know?

Back to OP: I will start countdown on Monday 18th July, and will teach proper lessons until the end of the day on Friday 22nd as we don't finish till 1.25 on Tues 26th, but Mon 25th is Activities Day.

6. jet786

jet786 New commenter

Thats an issue too. Students look at it a wind down and tend to ignore a little thing like exams that are between them and freedom.
    Keeping them motivated can certainly be a challenge, not to mention oneself.

7. For me, the stress wil continue to be at a very high level until (if) my NQT year has been signed off. Won't be feeling secure until that's done, and then we have a whole battery of end of year tests...

8. so do northern ireland [​IMG]

9. It would lovely to be counting down. We still have year 11 and are introducing September's timetable next month.

10. I do the same thing - I count how many "early get up's" there are til the next holiday. I work full time with a 3 year old at home, so I count down to spending time with her xx

11. now - 2weeks to go!

12. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

I started counting a few weeks ago when the Year 11s and sixth form went on study leave - that to me marks the end of the "important" part of the school year and the rest is just biding time!

13. My birthday is on 25th July and since I started teaching in 1992 I've only been in school once before on my birthday and that was an inset day!! I can't believe how late we're finishing.

14. Maybe teaching isn't the job for you.

15. Second that[​IMG]

16. Will probably feel like I am almost there when I get to July - too much to do yet. I am leaving my school so looking forward to that and will probabaly also start the countdown more when I have spent a day at my new school and done the changeover morning.
    Last year I loved my class and didn't want to let them go but there are a few kids in this years class I will be glad to see the back of (and a fe parents too LOL). In all fairness to the kids, I don't think me starting in January really helped and I hoping that is the reason I have found it tougher to gel with them because I think things might be different had they been my class since Sept.
    Will defo be ready for the hols this year :)

17. I've been teaching for more than 30 years. The ritual countdown has always been the same... When the Tour de France starts that's when I have to speed up to try and get through more of the to do list - so there's less to do in our 'six weeks off' - but surely cycling 3000+ miles over mountains has got to be harder than the last two or three weeks of the summer term.
    Hasn't it?

18. We have too long. We also go until the 27th of July. Our new timetable starts on the 24th so our wind down doesn't wind. Plus we also still have our year11.
    Regards!

19. I always know how many weeks left until the next holiday, but I dont countdown as such.
    This term is the term I start to panic about those children who have not reached their targets...and I am more counting down about how long I have got to give them as much of a boost as possible towards their targets, instead of counting down to the holidays!