1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How soon can I leave?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rara_octahedron, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I have been working in my current school for a year as an inclusion manager after a six year stint at my previous school. The role is really interesting and varied and I have learnt loads at the school. However, the commute is rather long and there would be no promotions ever available at the school! The perfect deputy headship has come up in a two form entry school much closer to home where there are actually two deputies...the role is the same as what I am doing now but I have the added bits of 'Deputy'.

Two questions...am I being overambitious looking at deputy headships and will being at my school for only 1 year look bad on my application form? I currently have a lot of responsibility at my school and can show impact of the actions I I have made over the last year, however I have only done the job a year and worried that I would look like I am jumping ship and maybe have not enough experience (I was Science leader for 5 years with a big raise in standards and Lit leader for 2 years before moving schools).

Any advice would be great!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We are looking for an inclusion leader with senior leadership responsibilities as well. You seem on paper to be the perfect candidate.

If you meet all the person spec criteria and want a move, then go for it. The worst that will happen is you don't get it.

3. I think you should go for it. You know this is where you want to go next, and even if you don't get the job you will gain experience of going for jobs at that level. However, I would make sure that your application letter / personal statement focuses on the special things about the particular school you are applying to as your motivation for moving. Look at how the new school differs from the school you are at now (other than being closer to home) and illustrate how this ties in with your professional developement, e.g. working at a bigger school posing more of a challenge, etc.
    Good luck!