1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How soon can I hand my notice in to finish ASAP?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Anna3681, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

Hi, do I have to wait til October 31st to finish at Xmas now? Is there any way I can finish earlier. On a permanent contract. Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on a standard teacher's contract then the next resignation date is by October 31st to leave at December 31st. If not on a standard contract see what it says about notice periods. You have no entitlement to leave earlier than that but you can negotiate with your school. If the head agrees to you leaving earlier anything is possible. It depends why you ask the question.

Freeze!, jlishman2158, nomad and 4 others like this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Under STPCD, you're not entitled to leave any earlier. However you may be able to negotiate. A head might be quite understanding if a partner's job has suddenly been relocated, for instance. They might also be relatively willing to release you if you're likely to spend most of next term signed off sick (although if that's the case don't rush into a hasty decision).

So, ask nicely, but they might say no, or they might say they'll let you go once they've found a replacement.

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

On the surface, handing in a notice to finish early is a bit like throwing the towel in once you’ve entered Buckingham Palace running the marathon! Do the last week, rest and recouperate and go back in September and see how you feel?

I can think of a few reasons why this logic might not be appropriate, if any apply to you......

1. Your OH is relocating jobs, yep for most people personal life trumps career (nothing wrong with that) and you may want to get out early.

2. You’ve been sick of teaching for a while and received a better job offer but it starts before the next decade.

3. You are facing imminent capability. In this case, it’s union time and you might get out with a compromise agreement.

Sure there are other reasons but there’s my thoughts!

5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Or 4 You’ve won the lottery and have no need to work anymore :)

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

You can do what you want. You could walk out tomorrow. If you don't give notice your school could potentially take legal action but it's unlikely.

jlishman2158 and suzuki1690 like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

But Heads do communicate with each other and it would be another problem to navigate (at best) should you want to work in another school.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Let's just say your references wouldn't exactly be glowing. Which may not be an issue if you're 85. Otherwise though......

jlishman2158 likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

On another thread, the OP says she is leaving to work with her husband in his business... he probably won't be too fussed about checking references.

Mind you, if that doesn't work out, the OP may find they need their current head as a referee later.

jlishman2158, nomad and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Yes, do be aware that for a teaching post in the future, you will need a reference from "the head of your last school", not just whoever you are working for by then, so it's advisable to leave on good terms, just in case.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Headteachers have a lot of discretionary power where resignations are concerned. If/when it suits them they can have you out of there in days. I've seen it happen whilst working as the supply teacher who stepped in to fill the gap.