1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How soon can a new deputy apply for a headship. Does anyone know of a fast track ?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jellyfish63, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hi there, I am a new deputy working in England, having worked in Wales for fourteen years.
    I was fortunate to get the first deputy post I applied for in England, at the age of 48.
    Seeing as time is precious (age), I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of any deputies gaining headships soon after their appointment. I know of one person in Wales who achieved a headship after a very short time as deputy, ( in separate schools I may add).
    I am keen to apply back in Wales for a headship.
    Also, I understand that NPQH is no longer mandatory for headship, but it seems that governing bodies still require it for posts I have seen advertised.
    Does anyone have any opinions on the NPQH and my above question. I would be eternally grateful for your advice. Thanks...diolch yn fawr!

2. Hi there, I am a new deputy working in England, having worked in Wales for fourteen years.
    I was fortunate to get the first deputy post I applied for in England, at the age of 48.
    Seeing as time is precious (age), I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of any deputies gaining headships soon after their appointment. I know of one person in Wales who achieved a headship after a very short time as deputy, ( in separate schools I may add).
    I am keen to apply back in Wales for a headship.
    Also, I understand that NPQH is no longer mandatory for headship, but it seems that governing bodies still require it for posts I have seen advertised.
    Does anyone have any opinions on the NPQH and my above question. I would be eternally grateful for your advice. Thanks...diolch yn fawr!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

How 'new' are you? How 'soo' is 'soon'?
    I'd say most governing bodies wouldn't really consider anyone who's been deputy for less than two full years and many would want to see at least three. But, obviously, there's no rule and governing bodies can appoint whoever they like, provided they believe the person meets their essential criteria. If the criteria say the governors want NPQH, it would be pointless applying if you don't have it.

4. Thank you for that. I am brand new so to speak, having started in January this year. I held a TLR post for ten years in Wales.
    I am really enjoying the role and I have had very good feedback from my head,parents and governors.
    However, I can see my Welsh roots pulling me back before too long, as in the next year.
    Do you think it would be possible to apply sooner perhaps as a deputy, for a sideways move?
    Regards

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There's nothing to stop you applying; however, whether or not a governing body (and head, if you applied for another deputy headship) would take you seriously is another matter.
    As a head, I would be somewhat suspicious of a candidate who applied for another deputy headship within two years of taking one.
    As a governor, as I indicated earlier, I would want a candidate for headship to have at least two years' experience as a deputy - and in the same school - before considering shortlisting them for a headship.
    My reasons for this are that no amount of TLR leadership experience can prepare you for the reality of being a headteacher. Working as a deputy - and working closely with a headteacher for at least a couple of years and preferably more - is what you need. Even then, the difference between being a deputy and being a headteacher is massive.

6. Many thanks for the advice !

7. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Most HT jobs I've seen are wanting 3 years DHT.

8. NPQH is still an essential qualification for headship in Wales unless you are already a headteacher, i.e. those who became a headteacher before NPQH was introduced.
    HTH

9. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

I think it really depends on what your HT lets you do! I had more wide-ranging experiences and impact as a TLR and SLT member in my previous school, than I do now as a DH!
    And, despite having been in post for less than a year, I've been shortlisted for a HT post....