1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how small is viable

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rockmeamadeus, Mar 24, 2012.

1. It really is nothing to do with student ability and everything to do with money. A teacher-hour spent with 6 students is twice as expensive as a teacher hours with 12 or three times more than with 18. Simple as. The Head has a responsibility to make sure there is good value for money.
    My school allowed a 7 student GCSE to run. Now we are a little less well off it might have to be higher. It's always a minority subject. I'm quite impressed it appears in two option streams to be honest?
    Running GCSE after school is often not in the best interests of the music teacher. If I did this, in my very accademic school, I know that I would get every single student opting to do it after school so they could pack their time table with extra extra maths or quadruple science or a third language!

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Why do they "need" them? Who told you this?

3. they are their first choice as my daughter wants to continue with pe and the dance with her music others want latin for career choice

4. thanks very helpful

5. Isn't it interesting the advice students get about linking their GCSE's to career choices?
    I worked in industry before teaching (not only music) and what you did at GCSE's was NEVER part of any interview/discussion. The only thing of interest was grades and extra curricular interests.
    If you enjoy it and you are good at it then you should do it. Not whether you want to be a,b or c.
    It's grades that matter, not individual subjects (and I cannot believe that the ebac will improve your chance of employment or university entry)
    It's all getting a bit tiring.

6. Crowbob

I would qualify this slightly. The RG unis do look at "facilitating subjects" with sympathetic eyes and these match the EBAC). Whilst these are A level subjects, if you haven't studied History GCSE (because you chose music) you may not be able to study A level History.

7. My point is, you should study GCSE history if you enjoy it. It is a difficult one to pass and in my school the pass rate is really low. They chose it because they thought they had too. I went to an RG uni. No mention of my GCSE's but then that was a long time ago. (Some RG unis expect you to be musically able regardless of the course)

8. Well, here is a thing, after everything I have done for my year 9 class, bending over backwards for many of them, I have had only 1, count them, one student put Gcse music as a fist choice. And so next year it will not run. I fear I have been hoist. By my own over confident petard ( which appears to be a small cannon, by the way, or is that canon?)

9. Crowbob

Sorry to hear that RockAm. From your posts here, it is clear that they are missing out on an excellent opportunity.

10. We have found out 26 next year in one group.A few weak ones so a little worried.We have 28 in one group in year 10 at mo but all are strong so doubt we are going to be able to cut down (we were aiming for 20-23)...