1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How should nqt observations be assessed?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by brokenstar64, May 23, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    Am currently working out my induction period on a part time basis (not through choice) and am struggling with the nqt side of things.
    I am in a Year 1 class, who are all making progression; they are a notably "lively" class with some EAL, SEN (children still working at P-levels) and GAT children. I feel I have developed a great rapport with the class and on the whole am pleased with how they are getting along.
    However, I am struggling when it comes to the admin-side of the induction period, my mentor has only met with me once for half an hour at the start of this term (despite my induction starting in January) after observing me once and telling me that I was "just satisfactory".
    We have since had an inspection at school, where a lot of pressure was put on me (and everyone else, but my pep talk included the lines "you need to be better than satisfactory if you want a career in teaching".) although the inspectors were very postive and graded me "good", even giving my lesson a special mention in the report.
    My "mentor" has given me a list of tasks that I need to complete and told me that I should be compiling an NQT file of evidence (although I have been working at the school since September this was only mentioned to me at the start of this term); I now need to write daily reflections, collect evidence of marking to AFL, APP, long-term maths planning (although it is not school policy to complete detailed lesson plans), create a number of smartboard resources and lesson evaluations, among others.
    I have been reprimanded for using my NQT time (which is sometimes given to me on the day) for planning as i should be reporting to my mentor and letting her allocate how I spend this time.
    Last week I was observed by the head (as I have mentioned that I am looking for fulltime work in Sept and he did not make an observation of me prior to appointing me) and it admittedly was a disaster lesson, but have been "recommended" that this observation doesn't count and that I do it again - so am being observed this Friday again. It was also agreed that I spend time shadowing another teacher so I can see "good practice".
    I am wondering if all NQTs are assessed in the same way?
    Are you all graded everytime?
    I was under the (apparently incorrect) impression that NQT would be similar to PGCE, in that observations are used to highlight areas for development and to check off which standards have been acheived.
    I have spoken to all of the other teachers in my year group for their advice and guidance about this lesson, and I have made a plan for my observation, but my mentor has already passed condemnation upon it. I would appreciate if anyone could take a look for me?
    I passed my PGCE with very high grades and constantly received both constructive criticism and praise, and do not believe that I am a bad teacher; however my confidence is gone now, and I feel like I am incapable of planning and delivering a decent lesson despite never having had a bad observation whilst I was training.
    Am interested to hear your thoughts and experiences on this.

2. Hi all,
    Am currently working out my induction period on a part time basis (not through choice) and am struggling with the nqt side of things.
    I am in a Year 1 class, who are all making progression; they are a notably "lively" class with some EAL, SEN (children still working at P-levels) and GAT children. I feel I have developed a great rapport with the class and on the whole am pleased with how they are getting along.
    However, I am struggling when it comes to the admin-side of the induction period, my mentor has only met with me once for half an hour at the start of this term (despite my induction starting in January) after observing me once and telling me that I was "just satisfactory".
    We have since had an inspection at school, where a lot of pressure was put on me (and everyone else, but my pep talk included the lines "you need to be better than satisfactory if you want a career in teaching".) although the inspectors were very postive and graded me "good", even giving my lesson a special mention in the report.
    My "mentor" has given me a list of tasks that I need to complete and told me that I should be compiling an NQT file of evidence (although I have been working at the school since September this was only mentioned to me at the start of this term); I now need to write daily reflections, collect evidence of marking to AFL, APP, long-term maths planning (although it is not school policy to complete detailed lesson plans), create a number of smartboard resources and lesson evaluations, among others.
    I have been reprimanded for using my NQT time (which is sometimes given to me on the day) for planning as i should be reporting to my mentor and letting her allocate how I spend this time.
    Last week I was observed by the head (as I have mentioned that I am looking for fulltime work in Sept and he did not make an observation of me prior to appointing me) and it admittedly was a disaster lesson, but have been "recommended" that this observation doesn't count and that I do it again - so am being observed this Friday again. It was also agreed that I spend time shadowing another teacher so I can see "good practice".
    I am wondering if all NQTs are assessed in the same way?
    Are you all graded everytime?
    I was under the (apparently incorrect) impression that NQT would be similar to PGCE, in that observations are used to highlight areas for development and to check off which standards have been acheived.
    I have spoken to all of the other teachers in my year group for their advice and guidance about this lesson, and I have made a plan for my observation, but my mentor has already passed condemnation upon it. I would appreciate if anyone could take a look for me?
    I passed my PGCE with very high grades and constantly received both constructive criticism and praise, and do not believe that I am a bad teacher; however my confidence is gone now, and I feel like I am incapable of planning and delivering a decent lesson despite never having had a bad observation whilst I was training.
    Am interested to hear your thoughts and experiences on this.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

NQTs should be assessed against the Core professional standards and feedback should focus upon where these standards are met and what needs to be done to improve. Schools can be very lax about this and many observations graded according to "supposed" Ofsted criteria which essentially dos not nreally support your development. Download and use the TDA Guidance on the DfE website and the resources section of the TES also hgas useful NQT information and suggestions -there is even one from me there!
    It sounds like the school need to provide you with further guidance and clarification- act now to prevent any problems. If you have difficulties do contact the LA named person who can also assist.

4. Thank you for your reply.
    So far my observations have been graded according to the 'new' Ofsted criteria (standards were referred to but were not the foundation for my assessment, hence my grading).

My mentor has printed off all of the TDA documents from the DfE website, but seems to be cherry-picking how she uses it, and I feel like the responsibility has all been put upon me to figure out what I should be doing and how I should be progressing.
    As I said, I have only had one meeting (which lasted less than half an hour!) and the TDA paperwork was thrust at me, nothing has been explained in any way by my mentor.

My last observation was deemed a failure as I did not have a overriding Learning Objective for all ofthe children and I have been told to ensure that there is progression of learning. I thought that I was doing this/have been but apparently not!?