1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How shall I wash my new top?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Sep 10, 2011.

1. It is a jersey top, white on black at the top and black on white at the bottom. It was all spangly and new when I wore it last week, but now it needs washing. It says 40' on the label. I have got normal Bold washing liquid, hand-washing stuff, and stuff for delicate fabrics, and stuff for dark colours, I seem to remember seeing a new product to keep bright colours bright but I haven't got any - I will go and get some if I need to though!
    Would appreciate your vast experience on this one please, ans in the back of my mind I seem to remember a similar question fairly recently, sorry if there has been one!

2. It is a jersey top, white on black at the top and black on white at the bottom. It was all spangly and new when I wore it last week, but now it needs washing. It says 40' on the label. I have got normal Bold washing liquid, hand-washing stuff, and stuff for delicate fabrics, and stuff for dark colours, I seem to remember seeing a new product to keep bright colours bright but I haven't got any - I will go and get some if I need to though!
    Would appreciate your vast experience on this one please, ans in the back of my mind I seem to remember a similar question fairly recently, sorry if there has been one!

3. Just wash it at 40 with your usual detergent. Is there a reason you don't trust the instructions on the label?

4. It's the different colours, Airy. I hate washing things that are black and white, even though half my clothes are that combo. It is so nice, and I don't want to ruin it. DOn't tell anyone, but it only cost £6.99, so if all else fails I can just go and get another one!!

5. I always put a dye catcher cloth in with patterned garments like yours. Lakeland do one, but I think most supermarkets sell the throwaway dye catcher sheets. I swear by the Lakeland one.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Not much more than the legendary citrus cardie, if I am not mistaken. I think that was £3.67 or thereabouts.

7. I think that could, well be a compliment but I am not sure. I wasn't around at the beginning of the saga and never really caught up with it. Does it make me a legend, do you think?
    I love a bargain. One of my fave dresses that I wear for Parents Eve cost £5.99. I make everyone admire it and then tell them how much it cost. Sad, I know...

8. Oop,s thank you Teds, That's why I have you, you know about these things.

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Me too! I bought a rather lovely dress in Tesco yesterday for £2 (reduced from £16).

10. But just in case it all goes wrong, could you please sign on the dotted line below to confirm you will not blame me?

11. I would do it at 30 with the mildest soap, I think to avoid the colours running or the black fading. But then you risk the white not getting as clean as poss.
    Tricky one. I have no experience with dye catchers, sounds like they were made for a predicament such as yours!

12. If the garment is two colours, the obvious solution is to just cut it half, wash the halves seperately and then sew them back together.
    You women make such a meal of things sometimes, what you need to do is think logically, like us blokes[​IMG] (There isn't a 'run for cover' smiley unfortunately!)

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Follow the instructions to the letter, so if it goes wrong you have grounds for complaint.

14. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Boil up some water in a saucepan with some bio washing powder and dip the white bit in. Be careful none of the black goes in. Then wash the whole thing on 30 with handwash. (Or do the handwash in a saucepan and just dip the black bit in). Sorted.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

My husband bought a polo shirt with bands of black and white running through it. I refused to take responsibility for washing it and told him to sort it. It sat in the washing basket for a full year...

16. Do you know, some of you are just so helpful. Some of you aren't. For those who care, I have just bought some of those sheets and will give it a go. Failing that, I do think the unpick-wash-restitch method has some merit.
    I don't expect it will run obviously but I think the white bit might be greyish after a couple of washes.

17. You use Bold? I'd switch to Persil Non Bio.
    That'll be safer.

18. Oh dear, I bought ten a while ago as they were on offer. I still have at least 9 left!! Must readjust this siege mentality - we always lived in the back of beyond when I was a child, and I can't bear the thought of running out of things. I have got some Persil gentle liquid, for wool and silks. Maybe that would be OK.
    Is Bold common, Seapink? I can't use Surf because of the name.

19. I think it would irritate my skin - that's all. I've always used Persil.