1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

How Science Works - Job Interview

Discussion in 'Science' started by Davidnotmark, May 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I have a job interview on Thursday morning and I'm not sure if my plan is any good - could you let me know if my basic idea is ok and any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!!
    I have to teach a group of 16 year 7 pupils for 30 mins and cover How Science Works.
    My idea is to split the class into groups of 2 - and ask them initially to discuss the answer to a series of questions I will give them based on the equipment I'm using for the demo - e.g. I'll hold up some equipment and they have to discuss and write down answer on mini-wb.
    Then I'll present the demo - 4 test tubes with 4 diff concs of HCl and Mg strips - they are to make a prediction on a worksheet about which one will disolve the acid the quickest.
    Then I want to introduce the idea of dependent and indept variable and how you'd show it on a table/graph and pupils to complete the worksheet I've provided with examples.
    Plenary - mini quiz/hold up coloured answers etc (not figured it out yet)
    I wonder if this is too complicated for Year 7 pupils, but I wanted to get over the idea of naming equipment and knowing the diffs betwee indep/dep variables as my outcomes!
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    David x

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Unless they are rotten they won't give you a difficult class. I would expect that many yr 7s could tell you about independent and dependant variables although many primaries still us 'input and output' variables!

What about giving them a sheet with a daigram of the 4 tubes. They can write on the info about the strength of acid (they won't know Molar by the way so you could use 100%, 75% etc). They they could write their prediction on the sheet. Don't use 2M acid as the Mg will float and take longer to react (it does not dissolve) than 1.5M. A 1 cm strip of Mg will take around 40 seconds or more in 0.4M acid.

If it is a mixed ability class then have some blank graphs already prepared with scales etc on so that they can plot the data.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

As there are only 16 of them why not get 4 sets of tubes made up and then they can do it themselves quickly. 1 clock per group, 1 child per tube.