1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How sad, funny and rotten is the College of Teaching?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Oct 14, 2018.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I honestly thought that this ‘by teachers for teachers’ organisation had slipped away into obscurity, but apparently it still exists. Sadly though, it is not the ‘by teachers for teachers’ organisation we were all repeatedly promised. Nearly all of its elected are headteachers, other assorted SLT, Governors and business executives - hardly a teacher to be found. This is rapidly turning into a mouthpiece for management and business interests, with all the cronyism, bias and self-interest that involves.

‘By teachers for teachers’?

‘Promoting the interests of teachers’?

‘Teacher-led’?

All those choice phrases continuously rolled out when this so-called college was being set-up to try to convince us to join it and support it despite our reservations have come to nothing. It is now about as far from a ‘by teachers for teachers’ organisation as you can get.

tterb, stonerose, woollani and 3 others like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Mrsmumbles and stonerose like this.
  3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

It is pretty clear that the new key aim of the college is to do as little as possible to promote the interests of teachers, to avoid discussing, raising or campaigning for anything which might have a not-so-positive impact in the management of schools. Their unwillingness to rock the boat, tackle teacher issues, make loud noises and to campaign for teacher issues clearly indicates an agenda with management issues at its heart.

It avoids like syphilis its own mission statement and vision:

https://chartered.college/vision-and-mission

and spends its time on silly, childish 'make a poster' competitions such as:

https://chartered.college/research-poster-competition-entries-2017-18

It has done nothing to campaign for the issues of teacher shortages, all of the issues surrounding the use of supply teachers, has had little to say on teacher workload, time for training, the ease of carrying out theft and corruption in academies and the impact this has had etc etc etc etc.

If ever there was a pointless organisation designed to deflect and divert teacher issues into the never never, this must win first prize.

4. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

And this comes as a surprise?

Real, good, teachers aren't interested in such nonsense. They just want to be left alone to do their job. Is anyone that amazed that this organisation appeals to heads and their ilk? And, of course, those running this pantomime would like nothing more than the opportunity to tell real teachers what to do.

tterb, Mrsmumbles, stonerose and 3 others like this.
  5. David Getling

Well, most heads and SLT are silly and childish.

Mrsmumbles, stonerose and woollani like this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The College of Teaching - a worthy successor of, and even more shambolic than the GTCE, that's the General Teaching Council for England which Gove abolished as one of his first acts as secretary of state for education; perhaps the only worthwhile thing he did.

The idea that teachers are independent, reflective practitioners who avidly lap up the latest research findings is soon undermined by the irrational whims of a panicky SLT and the relentless quest for ever higher exam scores and league table positions leading to ever more onerous and intrusive micromanagement.

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

If this was truly a 'by teachers for teachers' organisation, then only teachers should be allowed to be elected to its council and action its vision, or at the very least, teachers should form 80% of the council. The vast majority have little to do with the concerns of real teachers at the chalkface.

This college looks like a classic variation of Trump's 'Catch and kill' tactic'; get control of a story or an organisation that is (potentially) troublesome, and then kill it off by never mentioning it again and sinking it into obscurity.

tterb, HelenREMfan and stonerose like this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Some hotties on the leadership team though. Mind you I have shoes that are older than most of them.

Mrsmumbles, stonerose and Alice K like this.
  9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The nature of modern teaching is that most teachers to not have the time to be involved in such an organisation. Those with the skills necessary, probably find themselves heading for extra responsibility in schools, which is the only way to be sure of a decent wage.
    This leaves the way open for delegators and people wanting to monetarise the organisation for the benefit of their businesses.
    It ought to have been a good idea - encouraging teachers to reflect on their practice and to have access to the best way of improving it. Green pens are cheaper in the short term though.

stonerose and Alice K like this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Nonsense.

Many single sex girls schools didn't have a single male teacher in them at that time, and few had more than a handful.

HelenREMfan and stonerose like this.
  11. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

And conversely in the all boys schools I worked at the boys often favoured the ladies, but not because of improved teaching.

blazer likes this.
  12. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Mr.Wolley said

"Many single sex girls schools didn't have a single male teacher in them at that time, and few had more than a handful."

During the late sixties an all girls grammar I worked at had largely male teaching staff. That was not uncommon, although it is quite possible some all girls schools opted for mainly female teaching staff - possibly for religious implications.

13. David Getling

That made me chuckle. Until this year my nephew's school had a truly useless Cheap First teacher, who had been (wrongly, in my opinion) let loose on A-level students. Of course, the fact that she was easy on the eye had absolutely nothing to do with some of the sixth form boys thinking she was wonderful:).

14. David Getling

I guess you mean those run by nuns. My mother had to withdraw my sister from such a school because it was so bad.

15. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

That's why we're disappearing!:eek:

16. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

My father used to be a nun.

blazer likes this.
  17. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

No he didn’t, Baldrick.

18. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

In an ideal world thereshould be a place for a professional body which would champion the development of teachers, research and promulgation of effective practice. It would have a parallel with say the Institute of Physics or something like that, or the Association for Science Education.
    There is also a case for a regulatory body in the mould of say the General Medical Council.
    Merging the two would generate conflicts of interest.

There is also clearly a need for unions - which cannot realistically fulfil wither of the roles I've outlined.

However I have no idea how we might get to the first .....

19. David Getling

However, much as many might protest to the contrary, teaching is not a profession.