1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How quickly should we expect NHS improvements?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by colacao17, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I've seen t he civilian emergency procedure swing into action twice, actually, once at close hand.

Some decades ago I was doing holiday work in a hospital lab, and that was when the hospital was told to prepare for a thousand casualties with basically no notice. This was due the alarm being raised by air traffic control that an out-of-control jumbo jet was going to crash onto our city.

Immediately all medical personnel were on their way in, wards were emptied, triage was set up, ambulances started arriving from neighbouring areas, fire engines, everything was ready. We could have taken 1000 badly injured people right there and then.

My role in this was mostly observe, I didn't do much, I wasn't really part of the plan. I did move some oxygen bottles that were going home with one of the patients that were being sent home to make room for the expected ingress.

Then we were stood down, and it had taken 30 minutes to ready the hospital, but took several days to get it back to normal!

The plane came down gently in a field within the airport boundary, with I think just one broken arm among the passengers, and no casualties on the ground.

But we were ready for the worst.

The other time I have had a glimpse of the civilian emergency procedure in action was during the day when the tubes were bombed. My friends who worked in a london hospital were evacuated, again to prepare for casualties maybe being in the thousands. They described, and one of them photographed an unknown tunnel opening up, and hundreds of guerneys ready and waiting, staff and equipment appearing from nowhere.

I also have a friend currently involved in the civilian emergency procedure, who has talked about the plans in place for a break down in civil order in Dover, which was seen as a possible outcome of a no deal Brexit.

Whereas the experiences of @grumpydogwoman and several other posters have been paltry, to say the least, these people not getting optimum treatment does not constitute a threat to national security.

I am confident that a virus, which could possibly be a national security threat, or public health emergency, would not only have a lot more resources available to fight it, but would aready have those resources in place and ready to go.

The Grenfell fire, and the total lack of preparedness of Kensington and Chelsea council to deal with hundreds of survivors did highlight a massive failure in Civilian emergency planning. So obviously not everyone is meticulous in their duty to plan. But that may well have served to jog other councis into checking their own planning. I hope so, anyway.

2. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

5th December 1985 Rio de Janerio?

3. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

Thank you @corvuscarax. That's interesting. Was that in London?

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

no, not the aeroplane one. The bomb one was

smilingisgoodforyou likes this.