1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How quickly should we expect NHS improvements?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by colacao17, Jan 24, 2020.

1. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

China is rushing to build a new hospital in a staggering 10 days to treat patients of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, state media reported.

The 1,000-bed, 25,000-square-foot facility is expected to be in use by February 3 to serve the rising number of patients.

In 2003, China erected a hospital on Beijing's rural outskirts in barely a week to cater to a rapidly rising number of patients suffering from SARS.

Over to you, Boris.

Story from https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...-outbreak-latest-updates-200124063503577.html

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So glad the Muslim-imprisoning, Falun Gong oppressing, Hong Kong subduing government of China is seen as a suitable role model for some.

/s

Alice K and will_osweighton like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well the Royal Liverpool has been put back to 2022 due to HMG, so don't hold your breath.

colacao17 likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

If we needed a thousand bed hospital in week for an outbreak, we would get it. We could probably do it in 24 hours. You underestimate

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Staffing would be far more of an issue than building.

6. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

We'd need to entice back all those migrants we've scared off.

towncryer and mothorchid like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The wait for NHS improvements is almost over. We've barely a week to go before hospital start sharing out the £350m per week windfall they were promised once Britain leaves the EU.

I bet equipment suppliers have already printed new prices lists in anticipation there will be far too much money to be spent in this financial year, and if hospitals don't get their orders in quick, they'll lose out.

8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Improvements have already stated.
    The promise of 50,000 nurses - c.20000 are already in place
    ;)

Jamvic likes this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Until local authorities have sufficient funding to operate effective care for the elderly, bed blocking will still be an ongoing problem.

cissy3 and Jamvic like this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Can't they get bunk beds to double the capacity?

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I agree that social care needs funding more effectively to address longer than necessary hospital stays for the elderly. Having to remain in hospital because there is no other provision available for support once discharged is cruel, unsettling and detrimental to recovery for many older people.

I’ve always hated the term bed blocking. It sounds so unfeeling when talking about a vulnerable human being. I’m not saying that you @smoothnewt are being unfeeling for using it in your post, just that the phrase itself is so harsh.

cissy3 likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

No government promised that.
    As it is the transition period is not subscription free.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

They were promised nothing - the people who made the suggestion were in no position to carry out a promise, as has been discussed here countless times over the last three and a half years.

It was suggested that whoever became the government of the day could spend the EU subscription on the NHS instead, but we continue to pay the EU subscription throughout 2020, as LC has pointed out.

When the time comes, it will doubtless be pointed out again that the £20.5 billion more being spent on the NHS by 2023/24 is actually far more than was suggested on the bus (it will be £394 million a week more than in 2018/19, in fact).

LondonCanary likes this.
  14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

To paraphrase Edward Grey, "The lamps are going out all over the NHS. They will not be lit again in my lifetime."

15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

"we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime"
    (also semi-colon rather than fullstop)

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well quite. Health care has all been so downskilled.
    I was down the hospital last week visiting a friend, and there was a sign in the car park by the main entrance "Caution-thieves operate here"
    Surely it would safer to leave it to the surgeons?

17. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Well there wasn't a single bed in my hospital last week that I work in. We almost started turning ambulances away. Nearly every ward was short of at least one nurse and one healthcare too. We are never fully staffed. Even cancelling all elective surgeries would not solve the problem. Also agency workers who we are heavily reliant on at the best of times, dont tend to work if they are at risk of infections. We already have isolated patients with other nasty infections, including other types of corona and often agency workers refuse to nurse them as they have no sickness protection and it prevents them working elsewhere.

bombaysapphire, cissy3 and smoothnewt like this.
  18. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Extremely depressing - but thanks for sharing with us the reality of the situation.

19. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I assume you are being sarcastic.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  20. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

not at all. I've seen a major city prepare for thousand casualties in under an hour. The disaster didn't happen, and the preparations were not needed. But we have many civilian emergency procedures in place, and I have no doubt that in the case of a sudden epidemic, we would have quarantine hospitals up and running very fast. In days or less, probably. Certainly in under a week

border_walker likes this.