1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How on earth can we work until we are 68?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by mally93, Nov 17, 2011.

1. <u>THIS</u> is my main concern with the pension proposals. I am prepared to accept that I have to pay more to get less but I don't know whether I'll be fit to do this job at 67. More importantly our children deserve teachers that are fit and capable of meeting the demands of a very stressful job. Yes, there are plenty of 'young' 67 year olds but have they spent 40 plus years in a classroom and if they have do they still have the same drive and motivation to 'perform' on a daily basis. Education will suffer if the continuity of children's education is disrupted by frequent absences due to illness.

2. I'm prepared to pay more to get the same. I am concerned that I would have to work until I was 68 in a secondary classroom...:S Time to go up the chain of command me thinks.

3. You don't accept it. You don't work until you're 68. You fight it. You demand a right to a decent, healthy, happy retirement. Most Canadian teachers retire in their mid-fifties with very comfy pensions. It can be done. It is possible for a wealthy country like the UK to arrange its finances to allow people a decent retirement. Do not accept this nonsense about the country not being able to afford to let people retire with dignity. Do not subscribe to the race to the bottom, the argument that if the private sector can't do it, the public sector can't either. That's bullshite. That's propaganda from the rich few at the top, who want us all to slave away forever to fund their obscene lifestyles. Fight back. Fight for your fair share.
    Ooops. Sorry----inner Bolshie escaped there....Back in the cage now! [​IMG]

4. I'd award this the post of the year. Well said CanuckGrrl.

5. cobalt54

cobalt54 New commenter

Canuckgirl,
    No need to apologise. Everything you say is true. In China and Russia teachers also retire at 55. In Moscow retired teachers are eligible to receive a government apartment as a thank you for their contribution to society. The salaries are lower relatively then before, as are the pensions. But at least a teacher's contribution is respected.
    If Scottish teachers are determined to stay true to their traditions of nervous conformity then they will reap what they sow. And so shall their children.
    To accept, unquestioningly, a neo-fascist economic ideology is a betrayal of the young people in the classroom. Maybe time to order copies of Brecht's Fear and Misery in the Third Reich for the English book cupboard.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You should let it out more often [​IMG]
    I like this expression. Nervous conformity; a paralysing disease, an affliction of the mind. Forget all that stuff about contacting you inner child . . . . . it's the inner Bolshie, in all of us, that needs to be unleashed.
    The people who are in power just now do not have the best interests of the Scottish people at heart. They have an entirely different agenda, imo.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Well said CG! No paseran! Hasta la revolucion siempre!

On another note, I've been thinking about tongue in cheek "reasonable adjustments" for teachers in their dotage in the classroom ...

Stana stairlifts?

Toilets at the back of every classroom for male teachers?

A dedicated classroom assistant to remind them where they left things?

Coffee in the staffroom replaced with Horlicks?

A daily issue of Werther's Originals?

Or maybe not so tongue in cheek?

8. How about freeTena lady pads for poor 68 year old wifies who have to demonstrate star jumps for their pupils at PE!

9. I don't think I am. As I understand it, our pensions ARE NOT in deficit. The government will use our over-contributions to top up deficits elsewhere. Not on.

10. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

We should not be paying more to get less - there is no need for this. There is plenty money out there, it just needs to be used efficiently - just think of GLOW - what a waste of time and effort. And if we are honest so is Curriculum for Excellence for that matter. The longer that teachers have to work beyond 60 the more difficult it becomes for new entrants to join the profession - 'dead men's shoes' will become the norm. Can you imagine a 68 year old PE teacher for example??? How long before a teacher drops dead in front of their class??
    There is lots made of the lost generation of 18-24 year olds - obviously making teachers work beyond 60 is just going to make that situation worse.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

*shudders*
    Unfortunately I was indeed thinking of it earlier on; funny how the money is always found for ridiculous, superfluous p!sh.